View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 12:06 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

Marc, thanks for the input. I probably shouldn't have described the box as "unnessecarily huge and bulky". It's just huge and bulky. I'm no engineer but I'm familiar with the reasons for the size and shapes of these air cleaner boxes. I've test run late model cars with the boxes open and you can hear just about everything going on inside the engine, even the intake valves closing. The odd looking shapes help dampen surging and pulsing so the MAF sensor isn't going nuts trying to measure volume. The internal ribs and bends direct air flow and help stop telegraphing noises.
Most of what I'm doing here in merging old with new involves compromise. I have to locate this boxall the way up front just above the grill opening. I didn't want any of it showing through the grill as seen from the front. I never thought I would have so much trouble with space, but with all the CTS systems and plumbing, wiring, bells and whistles, plus the gigantic wheel tubs eating up a big chunk of my underhood real estate, it's become a challenge. It's like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole when there isn't even room for a round peg.
There will probably be some hissing or suction noise audible from the front of the car. If it's too anoying, I'll give it a second go.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 11-30-2018 at 11:42 PM.