View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 07:16 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky View Post
If tax write offs are the only reason to be buying an expensive machine... as some have noted... I think that is a bad deal to begin with......
Running a shop on a shoestring budget because you (& I) can & do scrounge, make do and go without to maximize profit is nice to think about. So you do it because you don't know as much as you think you do. Then you get to write a $five figure check to the govt for being frugal and inventive because your income is too high and your expenses are too low. Even worse, just barely cross into the next tax bracket and make even less because you owe even more. You soon figure out its better to expense some of that money on anything allowed to retain equity than to simply give it to the govt. learning how to better manage resources is how you survive as a business because the money is going to go away one way or another. Period.

maybe you don't want to spend money on another whatever. but you can't keep the money as easily as you can keep the whatever. And if you're lying to hide cash or cheat the system, all bets are off. The same applies if you're a hobbyist that depends upon some other resource/employer for full time income.

There's a big difference between being able to build an untested machine cheap because of an occasional score of materials. Many here do that and like it when we can. Others even buy the real big deal machines for pennies on the dollar because that's what they do for fun. Occasional deals happen. Unless you can reproduce those results on demand whenever you need them, it's not a relevant argument. It's just a hat trick.

There's no need to keep bashing a specific company or product, especially if you are not a customer with a true actionable issue based upon failed product or customer service. Move on. Post your own build.

btw- I own no Baliegh products. I bought one of Peter's Hand Built cast iron English wheels, in part because I wanted it and in part for the exact tax reasons noted above. If I hadn't learned the hard (expensive) way, I probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger. It's nice to not be smart like I thought I was.....