View Single Post
Old 06-30-2018, 08:37 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mullin View Post
I would agree that it is a gas problem. My first thought was bad gas but you said you have not made any changes ( new gas bottle, different gas mix, new tungsten). I have never heard of gas going bad in a bottle with extended time but one never knows. Some of those bottles date back to WWII. Try switching to a pure Argon bottle. I would be looking for damage to the gas system, primarily the torch. Typically a leak is not going to draw atmospheric gas in but reduce the amount of forced gas. Although you say you can hear gas coming out, it is probably insufficient. Take the cover off your torch hoses and inspect it for holes or crimping. As the plastic lines age, they can harden. I had a TIG in my garage at home for years. It hung on a hook. With time and seasonal temperature changes a crimp developed in the line and it caused a problem similar to what you are describing.

I would suggest switching to pure Argon as the gas of choice for all of your general needs.
sorry just to clarify, i fitted a new bottle (exhanged for full) but it was around the same time i changed to a gas lens. i don't use it that often so it's hard to pin point what's wrong and when it happened, i also changed electrodes at the time i fitted the gas lens. i will inspect the hoses tomorrow and have a laugh, i mean a look lol.

thanks for all the suggestions guy's