View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 01:31 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post
Thanks Kent as well for taking the time to post this and other stuff on the forum. I appreciate it. I made some leaf spring slappers before I got your booklet "The Forming Stump, Slappers, Spoon and Spike" and was surprised how close the ones I made were to your design. Made me feel like I was on the right path (or at least in the right direction).
Do you have any recommendations on what leaf springs would make good tools. Stuff that is obtainable in junkyards. I found that Ford truck leaf springs seem to be higher quality stuff than Chevy/GMC (later model late 90's early 2000's) Also can I assume the thinner the spring the better quality steel?
Glad to help, Chris. You are very welcome.

I think any auto/truck suspension leaf spring with the right dimensions is the best way to go, however you can find them. Cheap, available, and more metallurgy than you will need for whacking metal.

Now, for smithing out "edged tools" .... that is a whole 'nother (side-trackin') topic.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.