View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 07:59 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2018, August 2021,November 2023

Hey all,

I apologize for not posting updates as frequently lately. I've had to work on some other smaller misc. projects in between, but I've certainly been keeping busy and making forward progress on the Rambler roof....it hasn't been anything to drastically visual which is also one of the reasons I didn't update sooner.

I've got a good grouping of pictures so I'll actually make two different posts to separate them out a bit.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  74.8 KB

I believe I mentioned in a previous post that I had fabricated new edges for the roof. This was because the side window opening changed so drastically, but also to compensate for the removal of the drip rails.

I fit and tacked them into place while the skin was still on the vehicle....in this picture I just happened to have pulled the skin off for a while.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  75.7 KB

Here's a view with the roof skin laying upside down. You can see I have booth roof edges tacked to the roof.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  75.7 KB

Put the skin back on (it's amazing how many times pieces go on and off a car for test fitting!)

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  74.2 KB

Now that the roof and edges were more secure I could fully TIG weld the joints on each edge piece.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  75.6 KB

Now to add to the front edge of the roof. If you look on the passenger side, the large gap left from removing the factory drip rail is seen. I shaped up a new front edge and have started trimming back the driver's side of the roof to fit it in place.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  72.8 KB

Here the extended front edge is tacked to the roof skin. This closed up the gap to the windshield header nicely so I could weld that seam closed later.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  76.8 KB

Here I've welded the new front edge the full width across the skin (it is not welded to the windshield header yet)

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  71.4 KB

Took the roof skin off (yet again!) So I had much better access to planish and work my weld seams. Here I've got both sides and the front looking pretty decent.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  51.5 KB

This close up show along the length of the side edge shows how the joints came out. I'm happy with that!

Dane