View Single Post
Old 05-25-2019, 08:17 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by skintkarter View Post
Well I finally had my head in the right space I thought to pick up the torch and try some O/A welding of aluminium.

Fluxed the top side of the join with the flux mixed to a thin paste with Isopropyl Alcohol. Tacked the coupons together just with the torch, cleaned and tapped flat on the stump.

Re-cleaned everything and re fluxed (just the top surface of the join). Obviously some tension in the panel, as the start of the weld began to crack behind me - and perhaps not enough pre-heat as with tig cracking. Possible issue also with starting the weld in front of the first tack.

Material is 1.6mm 5005 and filler rod is a sliver cut from the edge of the sheet.

Got it sort of welded together, but very inconsistent penetration on the back of the weld. Did all crush just about flat in the Wheel.

What I'm not really seeing though is an actual puddle, or much if any 'flare' from the flux. It's more a sagging of the surface.

From what I've seen in a couple of videos by the experts, the flux seems very much more fluid when heated. Should I be seeing something more in terms of the flux?

At this stage to have a play, I've just grabbed locally available flux from one of the major welding suppliers.

Appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

Attachment 52939

Attachment 52940

Attachment 52941

Attachment 52942

Okay, good start.
Now, keeping all elements the same, mix a fresh batch of flux with clean spring water - like a bottle from the store. (Not distilled.) (Not tap water.)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.