View Single Post
Old 09-30-2015, 11:13 AM

I bought this Rhino instructional video set and found it very helpful

http://www.infiniteskills.com/traini...g-rhino-5.html

Unfortunately, Rhino is one of those programs that is so powerful it can only be used for good or evil. As with most complex software that I don't use very frequently I struggle with remembering more than a few basic operations. Luckily, those often get me most of what I want to accomplish since I'm not designing supercar bodies or yacht hulls or athletic shoes.

I've also had Alibre/Geomagic (parametric like SW) for about 10 years and I've liked the product. But they've jacked the yearly maintenance fees up over the last couple of years and I didn't renew a couple of months ago. At least I've got a permanent license so I can continue to use my copy. Rhino includes maintenance with the purchase price, so you buy the version (I started with v3 and now have v5) once and that is it. New versions come out every 3-4 years (or thereabouts) when McNeel decides they've got enough improvements to justify releasing a new version. Geomagic, and I think SW, have a yearly release that may be no more than some bug fixes and minor enhancements.

My upgrade to Rhino 5 three years ago cost me less than one year of GM maintenance now costs and included a lot of nice enhancements. Rhino 6 is having early "work in progress" releases for users to help find issues.

cheers,
Michael