All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-16-2017, 10:59 PM

Default Wood or Aluminum dollies?

Hi Group,

I am still working on the fender that I posted about a few days ago. I'm having a problem with getting a finished edge on the fender like in PIC#2.

I'm thinking of making a 1 off dolly set out of wood or aluminum to shape the final edge. A female "V" block dolly and a pointed strip male dolly for the inside.

What I'm looking for is advice on getting this edge a bit closer to final form vs using filler to get the end result.

Looking forward to any suggestions for a newbie.

IMG_20171112_144020288.jpg

metal shaping post.jpg.jpg

TX

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 11-17-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:21 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Hi,
The tool in your discription is a corking tool. I have found that you will need to only hit on the inside and use a sandbag on the outside. An alum or hardwood tool will work just fine. I like phenolic, or delrin as it holds a shape and is easy to grind. A shrinking disk works well for the finish work, on both sides of the body line. If you search this site, you will find many samples of both.

Hope it helps

B

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:22 AM

you wont need anything special there, just a standard heel dolly will work fine, due to the headlight area panel being flat. Sit your dolly on that surface and use on and off dolly technique for sharpening that line. If you need to work the area on the curved panel piece just switch the dolly over on the curve section and use same technique. Don't hit hard on dolly as you will stretch the metal. Work all those marks toward the crease line, especially on the curved side. So you have enough metal to put back on the crease.
Take your time and don't rush it.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:17 PM

Guys that is great info. I'm going to be working on this project over the weekend so hopefully I will have something to share early next week.

TX
Old 11-18-2017, 04:45 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct. 2018

just as them guys said. But if you have not got a shrinking disc just turn your normal sanding/grinding disc over to smooth side and use as a shrinking disc. works well for me and could get you out of trouble if it becomes to full /to high