All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-22-2010, 09:54 PM

I agree with David on the marks from the tubes it has to with the transition in the tangent areas not flowing into one another this is on reason to free form a hood like this you get gradual chnges in the bend area. If you are going to hem the edge which most hoods are left raw but it would proably save your self some work by just edge welding on a strip this way you can fine tune the gap a lot easier.
I know my spelling is terrible. Just my two cents
Old 04-23-2010, 11:50 AM

Default Front and rear edge

In one of Ron Covells seminars, he made a hood. What he used on the front and rear, he called a doubler. Simply a piece of sheared metal that was stuck on the inside with 3M High Strength double stick tape. Said he never had one come apart.

John
Old 04-26-2010, 09:56 PM

Hey Guy's thankyou for your reply's and help. I've managed to smooth the curves out a little more and I hope to get to the ends later this week and I have some options to work with now. After I've finished the ends I was thinking of running a piano hinge down one side only, a bit like a coffin lid. I thought that I could bond some thin wall sq tube to the inside edge and attach the hinge to that. Has any one done this or something similar and if so are there any traps to watch out for, again any suggestions or alternatives are greatly apprieciated. I'll post some pictures as I progress, thanks again.
Cheers,
Jody.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:16 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Why not screw the hinge directly to the bonnet? or are you saying you want to have a separate side panel?

David

All things are possible.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:02 AM

Hi David, thankyou for the reply. The side panels are seperate so the hood really is just like a coffin lid and my sides have a hemed edge so I thought that attaching the hinge diectly to the bonnet would put the hinge in the wrong position for lift and tilt, I also didn't want any fastening exposed on the outside. I'm pretty new to this so I don't know much about any special fastening systems availiable.
Cheers
Jody
Old 04-27-2010, 06:31 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2020

They are called a "Three Piece Hood Hinge Kit". You can buy them but they are fairly expensive. Search the internet for pictures and to buy. There are some that will open from either side, some that only open from one side as my drawing and some that only lift off with no hinges. The ones that open from either side will lift off too if both side latches are pulled.

or you can make them but it isn't easy to make them work right. To make your first set can take you a long time. The hinge bolts to the yellow bar that fastens to hood so you can adjust them and remove the hood.

The hood needs a lip bent in at bottom edge. So does the side panels.

The hood screws to the yellow bar with counter shink screws. So does the hood sides. heads will be in between the joint.

The hinge pin must be as small as practical and as close to the inside of the side panel as possable. If it is too far away from the side panel the hood will hit as it slides past the top corner of the side panel.

They use two braces across the hood at the hinge points. These are not fastened to hood anywhere but only to the hinge kit yellow bar.

Then on the other side you have to make latches...

drawing of what it looks like..

3piecehood.jpg

Last edited by TheRodDoc; 04-27-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:45 PM

Default Hood Hinge

For hidden hinges try SOSS hinge's. I've used a number of them and they work well.

For the three piece hinge kit Richard Cress describes, I think they are offered by Hagan. Hagan also offers door hidden hinge kits.

John
Old 04-30-2010, 03:35 AM

Hi Guy's, thankyou Richard for the drawings, the system looks simple and slick, and your right not cheap. The soss hinges are also pretty slick, thankyou John. I'm not sure what I'll be using just yet, still think the piano hinge might fly, but thats probally just inexperience talking, I'll keep you posted. Thanks all.
Cheers
Jody
Old 05-05-2010, 08:43 PM

Hey Guy's just a short update, I tipped the edges in the end, and thanks to you's I had options if it went horribly wrong. Its not perfect but then the cowl wasn't either nor the nose and it still needs a little fit finesseing but thanks to all your advice this is my best result so far. Still working on a hinge arrangement, and will post if I get it sorted.
Cheers again,
Jody.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg May 2010 003_640x480.jpg (19.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg May 2010 010_640x480.jpg (18.3 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg May 2010 011_640x480.jpg (22.2 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg May 2010 012_640x480.jpg (27.8 KB, 130 views)
Old 05-06-2010, 01:18 AM

Hi Jody,

the gaps look great !!

post a pic of the whole car please.

Gary