All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-16-2010, 10:43 AM

Default Saving forum info to disk

Hi
Here is something that might help some out there. I love finding projects from different web sites. It very easy to save the entire article to you computer by using a program called PDF995 (just google it) Its free but for $20 you get a suite of their stuff.
To use just click on print at the top menu of internet explorer and select pdf995 as your printer and then print. It will ask you where to put the file and what to name it. Then shows it on the monitor when done and its saved. Bigger files may take few seconds to display but it works great. You can view it, print it or email the file to a buddy. It works with about any program that has a print function to make a .PDF file.
fficeffice" />>>
Have fun
Tom
Old 05-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Spectator

Tom, You are quite the asset to this site, wish I could have met you before I left Florida last month. You are a wealth of valuable info, Thanks.

Charley
Old 05-16-2010, 12:14 PM

You can also use "save as" in your browser file menu and pick internet archive (mht) or html file with images. If there are lots of good photos I'll usually do the second as it stores those in their own supplemental directory where you can easily pull one up into a program like Photoshop Elements if you want to lighten the shadows/adjust contrast to bring out more detail.

It helps if you first set your posts per page option in the user cp to 40 (the current maximum) so you get fewer pages on the longer threads.

PDF Creator is another free program that seems to work well. Open Office will let also you save documents as PDF.

cheers,
Michael
Old 05-16-2010, 05:30 PM

Also check out FastStone Capture.
It can capture a full scrolling window, not just the part that fits your screen.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Or CutePDF writer, another PDF printer, works fine. I have another one installed too, but can't remember the name of it.

You can also go online to Adobe's site and use an online tool that allows you to create, modify and merge pdf files. There is another site that does about the same thing, but I can't recall the address and I'm away from my main computer right now.

Tim D.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:08 AM

I'm using PDF-XChange 3.0

It's an old version but it works very well. It prints to a PDF file with lots of options for graphics compression, DPI, etc. It captures the entire thread in one shot if it's all on one page (not one screen). I generally set the posts per page length as large as possible. You can append the pages together when using PDF-XChange so each thread will be in a single file regardless of how many pages it has. Or you can put related threads together into one file......Bill
Old 05-17-2010, 11:22 AM
MetalShaper of the month 07-12

On a Mac, it's part of the printer function. Instead of print, select PDF when the printer popup window opens. Of course, like other methods mentioned, it only does the displayed web page.

I have copied pages and images into a text document with all the images, then saved the whole affair as a pdf document. Time consuming though.

Bob