All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-16-2018, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

If you start a thread on the build and post as you go, you'll probably get some good ideas and comments along the way.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:53 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec 2010, Sept 2015, Jan 2016

This was my way builing with experience..The Mechammer and
The MechBammer,simple machines that do what they have to do..

Ben

Old 08-16-2018, 03:50 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post

Ben

Exactly.... I like both of your most recent machine designs... and they accomplish almost everything you would need in metalshaping/ forming without all the extra fuss and unneeded complications.

Success is never easy.

Last edited by HappyGoLucky; 08-16-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:29 PM

Hey Ben do you have an anechoic chamber too!!
Old 08-17-2018, 02:07 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec 2010, Sept 2015, Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rivet View Post
Hey Ben do you have an anechoic chamber too!!
Yes LOL. No that is the testing chamber you have to go in to get the CE certivecation to be able to sell the machines..

Ben
Old 08-19-2018, 08:03 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

[Quote] This was my way builing with experience..The Mechammer and
Ben

EXACTLY!!!!
You can have the best Engineers, best welders, best type of materials ,best cad system design etc...
But !! At the end of the day the machine that one makes needs to do a specific task ..and do it well. so in my opinion that comes with Years of experience in the trade that the machine is made for, ...lets say one is making a wheeling machine or a reciprocating machine or a planishing hammer etc, you need to have the machine working with minimum effort and do exactly what the machine task was made for, one may need to change a few things on the way but the results need to be right . If the machine is not preforming the way intended... one would know because of his experience
if not ..well give it away........
Peter
PS in my case I have design and built machine for the metalshaping trade that where not quite exactly doing the task that I built them for, so they ended up on the scrap bin

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM

Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 08-19-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:32 PM

[QUOTE=Peter Tommasini;148287]
Quote:
Ben

EXACTLY!!!!
You can have the best Engineers, best welders, best type of materials ,best cad system design etc...
But !! At the end of the day the machine that one makes needs to do a specific task ..and do it well. so in my opinion that comes with Years of experience in the trade that the machine is made for, ...lets say one is making a wheeling machine or a reciprocating machine or a planishing hammer etc, you need to have the machine working with minimum effort and do exactly what the machine task was made for, one may need to change a few things on the way but the results need to be right . If the machine is not preforming the way intended... one would know because of his experience
if not ..well give it away........
Peter
PS in my case I have design and built machine for the metalshaping trade that where not quite exactly doing the task that I built them for, so they ended up on the scrap bin
I think the main thing in building a machine is... Keeping it as simple as possible... some of the best machines are simple designs... the helve hammers.... basic Reciprocating machines with a simple lift adjustment... some without if open end beading/ forming is all that is needed.

Bens Mech machines are probably the best on the market... in terms of capabilities and all around use.

My personal goal is to build a really simple and effective machine... ( or in the case of a power hammer and reciprocating machine... two machines) not only to show it can be done, but to show it can be done on a budget even if some of the work is outsourced. ( plasma cutting, machining, etc.) Not only that, but in design terms some of the designs can overlap.... but that all depends on how big of a machine one wants to build. Typically the power hammers need to be bigger than a Reciprocating machine just because they are used for full panel shaping... where as the Recip. is more for edging etc.

Anyways when my machine is up and running I will post the build in a separate thread.... Hopefully in another weeks time I will be done with the main stuff.... ( I had to wait for some misc. bearings, etc... to be shipped.)

Success is never easy.

Last edited by HappyGoLucky; 08-19-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Chris Rusche, who designed the Baleigh power hammers, is a pretty accomplished metal shaper, and his designs have a lot of input from Mark Gerisch, who is a master.

The machines change from power hammer to reciprocating hammer very quickly by simply sliding a pin in and out. Dies are also changed quickly with a couple pins.

Are they worth $30-$50K? That's up to the purchaser, I suppose. If I were a pro, I certainly would consider it. I know it's heresy to some, but from the limited time I've used both, and coming at it from a unbiased position, they're WAY more convenient than a legacy machine like a Yoder or a Pettingell. Die changes are a breeze, and the hit and stroke can be dialed in in seconds without any tools. I think the reason people who own them also have a Pullmax is one time and efficiency, but also the throat depth on the Pullmax.

Not everyone has the time, ability, or desire to build their own machines. If shaping metal is your business, it's probably not worth your time to spend 2-6 weeks building and dialing your machines in. I'm pretty sure Baleigh has nice financing options and they're a great write off on your taxes.

"I've never met someone with so much tenacity in all my life." - RockHillWill

@madscientistind
Old 08-19-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisrain View Post
Chris Rusche, who designed the Baleigh power hammers, is a pretty accomplished metal shaper, and his designs have a lot of input from Mark Gerisch, who is a master.

The machines change from power hammer to reciprocating hammer very quickly by simply sliding a pin in and out. Dies are also changed quickly with a couple pins.

Are they worth $30-$50K? That's up to the purchaser, I suppose. If I were a pro, I certainly would consider it. I know it's heresy to some, but from the limited time I've used both, and coming at it from a unbiased position, they're WAY more convenient than a legacy machine like a Yoder or a Pettingell. Die changes are a breeze, and the hit and stroke can be dialed in in seconds without any tools. I think the reason people who own them also have a Pullmax is one time and efficiency, but also the throat depth on the Pullmax.

Not everyone has the time, ability, or desire to build their own machines. If shaping metal is your business, it's probably not worth your time to spend 2-6 weeks building and dialing your machines in. I'm pretty sure Baleigh has nice financing options and they're a great write off on your taxes.

I'm not saying they are a bad design... I think the machines are nice.... just not for the money.... and they are too complex for the trade. Too many moving parts, etc. If tax write offs are the only reason to be buying an expensive machine... as some have noted... I think that is a bad deal to begin with..... As far as convenience... convenience itself is part of the monetary equation and far too many people forget that maybe because of financing etc.

Keeping it affordable for the less fortunate amongst us is my goal.... and nowhere in that equation is a Baileigh Machine... because even their cheapest machines are too expensive for most. I'd rather have a shop full of Metalmeet, or allmetalshaping builders home built machines... than one single overpriced one... that is just my point of view.

Success is never easy.

Last edited by HappyGoLucky; 08-19-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:48 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

what type of machine are you building Peter? or should I say what is It based on?