All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-25-2010, 09:33 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2011, Nov. 2016

My bag is 18" and full of lead shot. I havn't noticed any dust coming out of it, and havn't Mad Hattered out yet. I do keep an eye on it though. I broke it open once and the shot hasn't started turning to dust. the lead shot is expensive though. I would think steel shot would act the same as the lead, and the bag would be lighter. I really like the shot over sand. It seems to move and form to the part better.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:57 PM

My bag is an old purse fom Goodwill. It is about 12" square wth a zipper at the top. I filled it with sand, closed the zipper then covered it with duck tape(zipper). It works just fine, and only 2 dollars.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonejunking View Post
My bag is an old purse fom Goodwill. It is about 12" square wth a zipper at the top. I filled it with sand, closed the zipper then covered it with duck tape(zipper). It works just fine, and only 2 dollars.
Now thats and idea I can go with Thanks-
Someone on anther forum told me Goodwill might be a good place to get Pewter too. Looks like I need to go Junking
Old 05-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Spectator

Since most if not all commercially made beater bags I've seen are round does shape matter at all? I have a couple pieces of leather big enough to make about a 9" square/round bag plus I have a couple extra welding aprons, sleeve protectors and even some gloves (gauntlet style) that are all leather I could sacrifice for beater bags.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Charlie, while MOST commercial bags are round, square and rectangular bags have their place. It depends on where you want the support. Wray Schelin has a large bag that is square on one end and round on the other. He has another HUGE bag that is about 2' long that is also used as a deadman to hold panels while he works on them.

Welding leather should be good for bag material.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:57 PM

I filled my bag with that white sand. I think i have mine a little overly filled, seems a bit too tight to me. I did the final stitch with stainless 'o' ring wire but when i dump some out i'll stitch it back up with stainless fishing leader material.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:48 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

I like my beater bags to have at least 1 square corner. I also like to turn them inside out so all the seams are on the inside except one. The black sand bag was my first and the protruding seams get in the way often, when I find someone that can make me a new one to my specifications I will retire it. Any candidates out there ? ~ John Buchtenkirch
!1sb499.jpg

!1sb500.jpg

!1sb502.jpg

!1sb501.jpg
Old 05-27-2010, 11:28 PM

I have a small bag with Lead shot .. I took a heavy weight plastic bag and put a straw in it then wrapped the bag tight around the straw and stuffed 95% of it into the beater bag, used a funnel to fill it with lead shot (unrolling the plastic bag as I went with the weight) Sealed the bag and ..
Bob's yer Uncle!

No dust. I really like the shot... But if you put in a nice layer of sand and then topped it with those injection molding beads Kerry used I think that would be great, and cheap too. I will try that with my big one..

"Coppretta" Barb Lawrence

http://Coppretta.com
Old 05-27-2010, 11:31 PM

Default white sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojh View Post
I filled my bag with that white sand. I think i have mine a little overly filled, seems a bit too tight to me. I did the final stitch with stainless 'o' ring wire but when i dump some out i'll stitch it back up with stainless fishing leader material.
when you say white sand I think it maybe silica sand and if it is I believe it is known to cause lung problems. if i am off base correct me, just trying to keep it safe
Jesse
Old 05-28-2010, 01:35 AM

Jesse-
They call it silicosis (sp) but I don't know if you could get enough dust from a sealed beater bag to cause problems....