All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-18-2015, 09:16 PM

Default Near a Lake

Just my two cents worth. I live 200' from a lake. Any metal I leave exposed will surface rust in about 8 - 10 hours. What I do is clean the panel up and put it right away into Epoxy Primer. Then I can do the metal repairs. (The Epoxy works great as a guide coat.) and when I weld I just clean off 1/2" of metal in the weld zone. When I'm finished for the day out comes the Epoxy and I brush a coat over any bare areas. It works for me.

John Poole
Old 12-25-2015, 01:04 PM

Default Beware!ospho or acid type products

Are not compatible with most epoxy primers.I said most.read the labels.I once osphoed a deck lid washed it off then used H.O.K.Epoxy primer and the primer peeled off in sheets!I epoxy right away now.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:28 AM

Time to bring this thread back to life.
I read Kents' suggestion to use ospho and also read the above post where a guy had problems applying epoxy primer over the top of ospho prepped surface.
A current project was media blasted and epoxy primed, I am cutting areas out and want to protect the new metal. If I use ospho will it affect the areas already epoxy primed? I've used the Rustoleum Etching Primer with what looks like good results before - it really takes a long time to tell - should I continue to use it? Are there better products in a rattle can? Can I use etching primer over ospho?
Old 08-08-2016, 10:27 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojh View Post
Time to bring this thread back to life.
I read Kents' suggestion to use ospho and also read the above post where a guy had problems applying epoxy primer over the top of ospho prepped surface.
A current project was media blasted and epoxy primed, I am cutting areas out and want to protect the new metal. If I use ospho will it affect the areas already epoxy primed? I've used the Rustoleum Etching Primer with what looks like good results before - it really takes a long time to tell - should I continue to use it? Are there better products in a rattle can? Can I use etching primer over ospho?
25% phosphoric is a very good surface prep (Must for Rust, Ospho, etc).
It attacks rust and removes it fairly quickly - and it attacks and fades paint, also. I'm pretty confident it will not harm the epoxy primer when going over the top of it, but probably best not to let it sit on it for too very long....?

If the phos-protected surface is going to be primed after a long time period, best to solvent wash and then re-activate the surface with a fresh wipe and then let dry before priming. This is standard procedure, and not doing it is asking for problems because "air" carries all sorts of contaminants, exhaust, pollution, salt, jet fuel mist, etc etc.

If you check the etching primer "contents" you will likely see "contains phosphoric acid" and this makes a very compatible combination with phos-treated metal.

Don't know about the various foo-canned products but Rusto- is a good company - so far. Read the labels before purchase - . Epoxy primers should all be able to go over a clean dry etched surface.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:51 PM

I found what not to do. Spend hours sandblasting and then start patching holes when it's 110 degrees outside. Seems the salt in sweat makes a great patina making compound.

Needless to say, now that I'm done sweating all over the bare metal, I'll be sandblasting again and then right into epoxy primer.

Ernie
Old 08-09-2016, 01:02 AM

There are a few popular epoxy primers that are not compatible with phosphoric conversion. SPI is one of them. Don't know why. Only that your entire paint job can fail.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:26 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Default A few epoxy primers do not like etching

Quote:
Originally Posted by lots2learn View Post
There are a few popular epoxy primers that are not compatible with phosphoric conversion. SPI is one of them. Don't know why. Only that your entire paint job can fail.
Good to know this. Thanks for the warning.
Too bad, though. The etch is a great thing.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:11 PM

paint grip 253
clear phosphoric based paint prep will hold panels for years as long as you keep them dry and you don't need to remove it as its an adhesion promoter, this is by far the best product I have ever used
http://www.solvents.net.au/index_htm...20(212997).pdf
Old 08-22-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lots2learn View Post
Is there an immediate reaction so you can tell?
Old 08-22-2016, 08:13 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

OJH
Here is the tech line for Southern polyurethane Inc 404-307-9740. Get the correct information right from the experts.

Steve