All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-15-2016, 11:20 AM

Default Best way forward with dent removal

Hi,

I am restoring my 1960 Split Screen VW camper... The rear corners are solid but badly dented.

This is what I started with:

I used a dolly with a similar crown on the back of the panel to remove the worst of the dent, then hammer off dolly to get it to where it is now:

How do you think it is looking so far? At this stage I would usually accept it and finish with body filler, but I want to get this as close to perfect as I can in preperation for repairing the roof which is pretty badly dented due to having a roof section strapped to it:

Anyway, whats the next step? A dolly with a similar crown to the corner, and a slapper? Or does it need more hammer and dolly work?

Thanks, Neil
Old 09-15-2016, 09:25 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Novenber 2011, March 2017

Hammer and dolly, and hammer and slapper are essentially the same thing, just with the.slapper you automatically get double the off dolly work. That being said I prefer slippers over hammers, for me it's just faster. To answer your question it's just more.of the same, but you will probably start using different dolly's or.different part of the.dollys to get those lows up. Use the part of.the.dolly that not only fits the curve, but now more importantly in the dents.

Mettelka Craft Metalshaping

Wanted, 41 Cadillac Fleetwood
Old 09-15-2016, 10:29 PM

Another thought is to take a thick rubber pad, backed with a dolly, and hammering from the inside, using a curved face hammer, pound the low (as seen from the outside) spots out. Then, with a curved dolly on the inside, use a slapper or hammer to smooth it out. It will be easier to push the high points back, than to bring the low points out, using solid dollies.

CZ
Old 09-16-2016, 12:12 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabbo View Post
Hi,

I am restoring my 1960 Split Screen VW camper... The rear corners are solid but badly dented.

This is what I started with:

I used a dolly with a similar crown on the back of the panel to remove the worst of the dent, then hammer off dolly to get it to where it is now:

How do you think it is looking so far? At this stage I would usually accept it and finish with body filler, but I want to get this as close to perfect as I can in preperation for repairing the roof which is pretty badly dented due to having a roof section strapped to it:

Anyway, whats the next step? A dolly with a similar crown to the corner, and a slapper? Or does it need more hammer and dolly work?

Thanks, Neil
Neil,
when you hold a straightedge across each dent how low is the worst one?
I have some footage that shows pulling dents like you have - without hitting the back side - and risking stretching up high spots ....

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.