All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Kerry's video is an excellent explanation of how and why we do what we do and how to get from here to there. Kerry covers a lot of the technical aspects of getting from a flat sheet to a finished panel. It isn't a discourse on automotive work but, rather, pretty strictly metalshaping. I've seen the presentation a number of times in person, including being just to your left on the DVD (no, you cannot see me, but I'm there ) and I still watch the DVD on a regular basis. Lori has watched the DVD, as have any of my friends that show the least bit of interest in metalshaping.

David's DVD is quite good, especially if your area of interest is in autobody sheetmetal restoration. Of course, the techniques are applicable to making any sheetmetal parts.

John Kelly made a Tuck Shrinking DVD that I find very informative.

Kent White has some good videos (but not all of them), in particular Shrinking Magic. Most of Kent's DVDs are available through SmartFlix on a rent and return basis.

The John Glover videos on wheeling are pretty good too, in a somewhat dry, technical sort of way. I think I just like listening to him talk as he sort of reminds me of a teacher I had in grade school.

Ron Fournier has done a couple of good videos, and, of course, Ron Covell has done quite a few. For some reason though, the two Rons tend to put me to sleep
Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 PM

I have watched David's Video a couple of time with a friend who has it. First, the video is flat out fabulous! It is like standing under a waterfall of ideas, tips and techniques.His methods are solid, simple and don't require a bunch of special stuff: just a space to work and some time to practice. Much of what David demonstrates has been talked of before, however, the way in which he works, the way he approaches a task and the clear explanations are what makes this production outstanding.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:47 AM

Another option is to rent video's, I have rented a number of them from Smart Flix (smartflix.com) (no affiliation) they have some Ron Corvell & other sheetmetal videos (26 videos right now) and at about $9-$10 bucks to rent, this is an option for those of us that don't have a budget to buy video's.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Renting a video is a great way to see it content a couple of times. The two videos recommended in this thread should be owned because of the content in them. You won't get all of the point made in these video the first, second or third time you watch them. Even an experienced shaper can continue to learn, or have their memory refreshed from these videos or remember something they have forgotten. I can't count the number of times I have watched them.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:21 PM

David's DVD was the first thing I bought after I decided to start work on my rusty old Chevy and learn sheet metal stuff. And I LOVE IT! And I would REALLY like to see Bodywork Restoration Tutorial, part II someday!!

Since then I have bought 6 different sheet metal books and even though those books have lots of very good info including many subjects not seen on the DVD, I still prefer the DVD over those books combined!

Gasolene Peach and Tommasini 6 DVD Set - These DVDs haven't been discussed here, but the work of these guys looked amazing on Youtube. The price is too high for me and I'd be happy to buy and see only the part 1.

Anyway, it's hard time thinking what DVD I should buy next.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:17 PM

My other favorite videos include Covell's Scratch Building a Fender And Working with Tubing. Some people say he bores them, and I get that, but the buck making techniques he shows in the first half of the fender video are invaluable. In the tubing video, he starts with hand tool procedures, and moves up in price of tools until he gets to the fancy stuff, all of which is great to know. There's a segment on the Tubster, which doesn't add to the content, but overall it's another good one.

I have seen most of his videos, and there's a lot of good tips throughout, but he doesn't pack as much info into the same time as the other two mentioned. There more filler in his videos, which puts people to sleep, but the info in the videos is stuff you can't really find anywhere else short of working for a master. His Chopper videos are all excellent in content as well.

Kerry's video is very good for explaining what you are trying to accomplish and basic ways of doing it. Covell's videos expand on the "how" of accomplishing it.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 PM

I thought I was a pretty good metal fabricator until I got David Gardner's video. Guy is amazing, the video shows you a lot with a little which is pretty cool. Would love to have a tutorial session with him sometime, I have the feeling that there is still a lot in the tank that can be learned..!!
Old 03-03-2011, 01:16 PM

I have David's video, lots of Covells and White's. I feel that John Kelly's videos are the best deal out there.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:46 AM

Default Metal Shaping DVD's thay may help you learn

I am wondering if anyone has viewed one of Ron Covell's latest DVD's featuring Craig Naff? The title is High Power Metalworking Workshop DVD. I have a large cabinent full of videos so I am getting a little more selective about which videos I purchase. I am an advanced beginner or intermediate shaper, so I am not interested in very basic information even tho I learn something from almost anything I watch.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Administrator

How about any of Lazze's stuff? His videos on Youtube are good, but they all use his expensive equipment, which I cannot afford as a hobbyist. They still have some good ideas and tips in them though.

"I've never met someone with so much tenacity in all my life." - RockHillWill

@madscientistind