All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Beginner Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Metal Shaper of the Month, November 2012

Default limo panels

so.... was going to just replace these panels. ordered new ones paid for them waited a week then called to check up on the order.... they discontinued them.

so. I get to do some fun creative work. anyone have any limo experience. This metal seems THICK! like 16guage.(but i dont know for sure without stripping an area of the rust or paint) so my question is; how would you go about this repair while being conscience of time This is a small project compared to connections that can be made by making some impressions on this fun car.

just some pre inspection pics the wife took. dont pay any attention to the mess of the shop in the background of the photos. this was before we even moved in.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 PM

I did try some 16 in my wheel. very long time to get it to do anything. too weak of frame. I adjusted the set screws to angle the wheel so when the frame flexes it makes contact on the contacts... i could get plenty of practice with tracking. the problem with that is that the panel is strait. put a metal rule 99.5" between doors and making full contact the whole way save for the door dings. job for a rubber upper wheel? still have not found one for 8" and smooth with a 3/4 center. I have a small 30" slip roll as well.i would like to make the patch go from behind the side trim down. and I will skim coat this panel and block smooth. sorry just this car has to go before my paint booth arrives!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:09 AM

Sounds like a job for a large press brake.

The part of the job I wonder about is this "This is a small project compared to connections that can be made by making some impressions on this fun car."?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard K View Post
Sounds like a job for a large press brake.

The part of the job I wonder about is this "This is a small project compared to connections that can be made by making some impressions on this fun car."?
press brake to form the flange at the bottom? The only press brake I might have access to is only 48". and in short parts like that i might as well use my box and pan. I have bent long pieces of 16 before when I add my extra clamps in the middle.

and small I mean by insignificant. If i can get this finished for an impressive price the people who own this car are friends with area car collectors. So it could really mean some interesting projects in the future. its a limo, if your not into it for making money its just some "fun" car and will probably loose interest in it quickly. and if a car is being worked on that you have lost interest in......
Old 02-15-2013, 07:31 AM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2014

Default limo panel

Im sort of getting what your up to.

If you dont have a roller long enough make the lower patch in 2 lengths and TIG it together then borrow a long folder to do the bottom flange details.. I think if it were me and knowing Limo owners prefer not to spend alot of money I would-

Complete the patch with the side and bottom flange details
joggle the top of the repair panel in the beader or folder so it slips under the original panel
put an inward facing 90 degree fold with the widest possible flange width at the top of the repair panel to add strength.
slip the repair panel up into place, get everything fitting mint and straight with clecoes, then glue the lap join and weld the outside. no heat distortion and it will mean you wont have to blend filler much higher that the repair.
certainly keep the lap join hidden. Ive noticed glued joins shrink.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 AM

Location: Coleman, Texas, a little town in the middle of the state.

I'm curious who the original coachbuilder was, that could no longer supply panels. Seems like something they would just go out to the shop and fold one up for ya.

I've got a buddy on one of the jeep boards whose family has a Limo repair shop, probably could get them to bend up something for you if you get desperate. PM me if you need the contact info. (No promises, but he's shown their work and it seems like they are always making custom panels for something or other.)

I know what you mean about Limo owners not wanting to spend money. Actually I am somewhat surprised this one is even being fixed as it is an older model. For an industry that projects an image of "money is no object" they are a cheap bunch.. (I should know, my brother was a limo operator for a while in AZ. I got to fix the Lincoln and Bentley for him.)

Bill F.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Metalshapers Ltd View Post
Im sort of getting what your up to.

If you dont have a roller long enough make the lower patch in 2 lengths and TIG it together then borrow a long folder to do the bottom flange details.. I think if it were me and knowing Limo owners prefer not to spend alot of money I would-

Complete the patch with the side and bottom flange details
joggle the top of the repair panel in the beader or folder so it slips under the original panel
put an inward facing 90 degree fold with the widest possible flange width at the top of the repair panel to add strength.
slip the repair panel up into place, get everything fitting mint and straight with clecoes, then glue the lap join and weld the outside. no heat distortion and it will mean you wont have to blend filler much higher that the repair.
certainly keep the lap join hidden. Ive noticed glued joins shrink.
Thanks Tony. I will keep this in mind. I do not however feel confident gluing panels. I do collision repair and seeing how the glue cracks when your pulling a unibody just makes me uneasy about glue. I feel like with all this car flexes it might complicate issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckntran Bill View Post
I'm curious who the original coachbuilder was, that could no longer supply panels. Seems like something they would just go out to the shop and fold one up for ya.

I've got a buddy on one of the jeep boards whose family has a Limo repair shop, probably could get them to bend up something for you if you get desperate. PM me if you need the contact info. (No promises, but he's shown their work and it seems like they are always making custom panels for something or other.)

I know what you mean about Limo owners not wanting to spend money. Actually I am somewhat surprised this one is even being fixed as it is an older model. For an industry that projects an image of "money is no object" they are a cheap bunch.. (I should know, my brother was a limo operator for a while in AZ. I got to fix the Lincoln and Bentley for him.)
I have checked into the coach builder and no luck there.
The limo repair business sounds fun. I see already how much its like boat repair

I am stubborn however. I would like to make these panels myself with my own tools because of what i can learn from this and when i run into something similar in the future!
Old 02-16-2013, 09:14 AM

16 guage sounds like overkill to me.. I would think 18 guage would be fine..
How long are the panels. There isn't much if any shape there, It could all be done in leaf (cornice) brake.. The slight roll to the panel could be done just by hand, clamping the panel to a bench and moving a board under neath of it and working the panel slowly.... I've bent (rolled) body panels for oval track cars over a couple oxygen bottles laid end to end on the floor...

What tools do you have? you could tip the bends in a bead roller and then make aluminum dies for a fixed stroke hammer and finish defining them in the hammer...

People will do things that nobody else will......
Old 02-16-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gibson View Post
16 guage sounds like overkill to me.. I would think 18 guage would be fine..
How long are the panels. There isn't much if any shape there, It could all be done in leaf (cornice) brake.. The slight roll to the panel could be done just by hand, clamping the panel to a bench and moving a board under neath of it and working the panel slowly.... I've bent (rolled) body panels for oval track cars over a couple oxygen bottles laid end to end on the floor...

What tools do you have? you could tip the bends in a bead roller and then make aluminum dies for a fixed stroke hammer and finish defining them in the hammer...
thanks Bill. I was able to clean some paint off and get a good measurement in a rust free area. it is 18. I have tried slight rolls in my box and pan but its hard to control. I think I am going to try some 2" pipe (i have several 20ft sticks already) and use them on the flatter part of the shop floor. I will post results early next week!
Old 02-16-2013, 05:58 PM

I would try laying 2 two-by-four's on the floor with the edges of the sheet resting on them. Then using a third on top of the sheet and pressing it down gently until you get the the right bend. If you bend too much, lay it on a bench and press it back down.

I've done that with 5mm steel plate. Except for replacing "gently" with a mini excavator.