All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default Metalshaping with Hand Tools DVD

David Gardiner (Mindover) on this site and MM has introduced a very interesting new DVD. It was posted over on MM but the Mods decided it was an ad and deleted the link

Before it was deleted, this link was posted for a youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGElSHzm0q8

While the purpose of the video is to promo the DVD, there is some really interesting information and I will definitely be buying one as soon as it's available.

Before the info was deleted, someone (not David) posted that they had contacted David and he hoped to have a US version of the DVD available shortly. It's 2 1/2 hours and will be about $50 delivered.

Here is the link to Davids web site:
http://metalshapingzone.com

http://wheelingmachines.com

chris@whiterhino Post subject: Re: Metalshaping with hand tools
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:23 pm

1320stang Post subject: Re: Metalshaping with hand tools
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:03 pm

I need a list of tools I need to be on the lookout for.

Is the wooded handled file he used in the video called a body file?

I've already got a section of railroad tie, I don't own a anvil yet.

I guess I need a post dolly?

Kerry Pinkerton Post subject: Re: Metalshaping with hand tools
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:25 pm

Location: Harvest, Al That is a body file...aka a vixen file with a wooden handle...lots of different versions of them. I have 6-7 different shapes...flat. curved lengthwise, curved across, curved both ways, bullnose, tight curves, flatter curves...etc.

You can make post dollies from most anything. My first ones were cheap hand dollies that I welded a piece of 2x2 square tubing to them. Store bought post dollies are spendy but not required.

JUSTBEATIT Post subject: Re: Metalshaping with hand tools
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:47 pm

Location: Madera, Ca. I saw the post at MM and followed it to the Utube and enjoyed it. I plan to buy the DVD also. I'm sure I will learn more than the cost of the DVD

Boogiemanz1 Post subject: Re: Metalshaping with hand tools
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:19 am

Posts: 20 Everything I saw was in the MM archives and shown and demonstrated at many meets. Of course there may be stuff I haven't seen on the video. Maybe someone will rate it for us once it is available.

Although Kerrys video features an English Wheel, it has given a good first hand look at the basic techniques for a lot of people that have become good shapers.. with or without the wheel............jb

tdoty Post subject: Re: Metalshaping with hand tools
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:12 am
Help Desk
Location: Rantoul, Illinois Having the information in one place, without having to dig all over for it is nice! I've heard everything in Kerry's DVD many, many times over the years. I was standing there while the DVD seminar was being filme. I still pop it into the DVD player now and then. I watch Kerry's DVD when I want to be inspired. While Ron Covell is a very talented shaper (he sure gets stuff done, whether folks agree with his techniques or not), somehow his videos always seem to inspire me to take a nap.

There really isn't anything groundbreaking in any of the metalshaping DVDs. Folks have been doing this stuff for a really long time! Heck, they have been pounding out sheetmetal for car bodies for over 100 years now! Some of the best information probably went to the graves with the guys who had the tricks, a lot of it only being shared with someone who apprenticed under them....and I doubt the apprentice was taught everything. I can go back 135 years in books and find all kinds of info on fabricating things in sheetmetal, but the info about shaping it seems to have been a closely guarded secret!

I'll probably wait until someone else buys a copy and checks US compatibility and all of that, but I'll probably buy it eventually.

Tim D.

Jack Daniels™ Post subject: Re: Metalshaping with hand tools
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:38 am

Posts: 20 I sent David a P.M. telling him about this site.
I think he would be a Welcome member here. When my Ad expires there it won't be going back up.

jhnarial Post subject: Re: Metalshaping with hand tools
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:29 am
Site Admin
Location: Excelsior Springs Mo. I just watched the u tube video.

It looks to be a very interesting video.The intro and editing looks outstanding,I love the way they muted the hammering.It makes it much more enjoyable to watch.

I am just going to mention this to try to start a conversation.For me personally I don't agree with welding the whole panel in and then planishing out the weld.In the video it says learn how to weld with little to no distortion.From what I seen the panel had exactly the distortion I would have expected,if you were to weld the panel in with out planishing the weld every 3/4 of a inch.So I think the title would have been more fitting to have said learn how to planish a distorted weld.

I am not saying that his method is wrong, it is just not the way I was taught.I think it becomes a personal preference.

I am going to order the video soon.I also hope David will put up a free add for the video here on this site.

It should be another great tool for learning new techniques.

Joe Hartson Post subject: Re: Metalshaping with hand tools
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:17 am

Location: Mississippi When the DVD is available I will be buying one also. Since there are many ways to do the same thing I know that there will be some new information on a different approach that will help me. David will be a welcomed member here for sure.

Joe

Old 05-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Default Member responses**

John Kelly Post subject: Re: Metalshaping with hand tools
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:20 am

Welding a long bead and then hammering is something you should try. It eliminates the possibility of cold tie-ins. It is also much faster than stopping every inch or so. You know that you had the right contours going in, so you know they will come back with a little persuasion.

John http://www.ghiaspecialties.com

Kerry Pinkerton Post subject: Re: Metalshaping with hand tools DVD
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:22 am

Location: Harvest, Al I got an Email from David saying the US version should be available in 2 weeks...he'll let me know.

chris@whiterhino Post subject: Re: Metalshaping with hand tools DVD
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:06 pm

Location: Madison, Mississippi I have been in touch with David as well offering to help him get the video converted.

mindover Post subject: Re: Metalshaping with hand tools DVD
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:27 am

Posts: 26 Hello all, I am David Gardiner, First I want to say thanks to Kerry for posting the information about my DVD on this site and for his kind comments, also to everone else for their interest and very kind comments about my youtube video. I hope to have a 'proof' or the DVD today (4/20/09) or tomorrow and have some NTSC DVDs ready to ship early next week.
The DVD is called Bodywork Restoration Tutorial, I feel that most people who get into metalshaping do so because they want to respre the body of their car, my DVD is aimed at just such a person, who would like to be able to shape metal into repair sections, repair the panels and get a good result. To do this you do not need a great deal of equipment. I have tried to show how to achive professional results with few tools. The techniques and skills I show are the age old methods used by English craftsmen for generations. I have tried to put as much information on the DVD as possible to make it good value for money, I have taught at Colchester Institute for many years (a well known college here in England) and I believe that this has given me the abillity to put over the information in a clear and concise way. The DVD took hundreds of hours to edit, it was filmed using broadcast quality cameras and edited using professional software. I have tried to keep it fast moving and interesting while at the same time giving all the information needed to learn the skills. I used drawings and animations to make some technical points clearer.

mindover Post subject: Re: Metalshaping with hand tools
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:26 am

I just watched the u tube video.

It looks to be a very interesting video.The intro and editing looks outstanding,I love the way they muted the hammering.It makes it much more enjoyable to watch.

I am just going to mention this to try to start a conversation.For me personally I don't agree with welding the whole panel in and then planishing out the weld.In the video it says learn how to weld with little to no distortion.From what I seen the panel had exactly the distortion I would have expected,if you were to weld the panel in with out planishing the weld every 3/4 of a inch.So I think the title would have been more fitting to have said learn how to planish a distorted weld.

I am not saying that his method is wrong, it is just not the way I was taught.I think it becomes a personal preference.

I am going to order the video soon.I also hope David will put up a free add for the video here on this site.

It should be another great tool for learning new techniques.

Hi Johnny, You may remember we began this discussion on the HAMB before you started this forum.
The gas welding technique you use (Hammer Welding) is what has been used in the US for many years, it is a good method, in fact I learned from American hot rod magazines how to do this before I learned the traditional English method that I use. One reason I say it is easier is that no clamps are needed and this makes things much simpler. No filler rod is used and so it is an easy technique to do (easier than mig or tig) and no grinding of the weld is needed) I have taught hundreds of people and most can do it with less than six hours of practice. (On my DVD I have been able to show a welders veiw which is far clearer than would be possible in the workshop situation).

The traditional English method is easier to learn, is quicker and does cause less distortion than any other methed, to understand why you have to understand what causes distortion. The obvious answer is heat, when a piece of steel is heated it expands and when it cools it contracts beyond its original state (hence the ability to heat shrink) but when a panel is welded using your method an uneaven heating will occur, look at the heatband (heat effected zone as you call it) you will see that the panel has been heated more in one place than another with your method, where it has been heated more it expands more and contracts more, where it has been heated less it contracts less, causing distortion or waves in the panel. If you look at my you tube video you will see that the heatband is even co the panel is heated evenly and very little distortion has occured. (apart from the damage which was in the panel before I welded it)

jhnarial Post subject: Re: Metal shaping with hand tools DVD
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:52 pm
Site Admin

I am always willing to try different techniques.I'm not going to lie I am pretty happy with the welding process that I have been using.

I weld it the same way you do except I do my re-stretching of the haz while welding the seam.To me it is easier to keep control of the panel.You do your re-stretching after the seam is welded,I do mine as I go along.It's all the same as long as you re-stretch what the heat from welding has shrunk.

I guess I will have to watch the video to take a look at your procedure,to get a better understanding.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:45 am

Posts: 26 Like I said hammer welding is a good method. Its just a lot quicker to do it the way I do but you are left with a slight undercut on the panel, its just the way its always been done so it seems right!. When I have worked on original hand crafted panels from the twenties and thirties they have been welded in this way. (On my DVD I show this method on several panels)

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:00 pm

Posts: 26 For anyone interested I now have my DVD available in NTSC (for USA & Canada ect) Please visit my website for more information http://www.metalshapingzone.com

David

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:05 pm

Location: Harvest, Al Placed my order David. Looking forward to receiving it. Please put an ad in our free classifieds. I'll also put your web site on our Resources page.

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:38 am

Posts: 26 I have posted some more footage on youtube for anyone who is interested go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrQKuD1JJv0
DaVID
Old 05-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Default Member posts

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:42 am

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:25 pm

I got my DVD yesterday and today I've spent about 45 minutes so far watching. Came in for lunch and just had to make a post. To say that I'm impressed is a woeful understatement!

I'll go so far as to say this is the BEST metalshaping DVD I've ever seen. Period Full Stop as the Brits would say! I'm only into it about 7 sections and I've already picked up a bunch of stuff.

This thing is about $57 US and is very well produced. David speaks with an understandable English accent and although he does use some terms that are different from what Americans might use, it is readily apparent what he's talking about.

For years I've said that a stump should be a beginners first metalshaping tool. I was wrong. This DVD should be a beginners first metalshaping tool.

Having made and produced DVDs myself, I know the time and effort that David put into this as well as his cost. Trust me, he isn't going to get rich on this. The price is VERY reasonable for the content and David has done a great service to the community by making this information available.

The only gripe I have so far is that the index is kind of buried and difficult to navigate. I'd have preferred it to be a chapter list that you could jump right to quickly and easily. I WILL be using this frequently as a reference tool. I'm especially impressed with his welding techniques.

GOOD STUFF!

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:46 pm

Location: Madison, Mississippi Kerry man you are killing me!!! I'm waiting like a kid on christmas for mine!!!

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:30 pm

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:50 am

Posts: 26 Thanks Kerry for a very nice review of my DVD! I am relieved that it got such a good responce! As you say I did put a lot of work into it and it has had good reviews in the magazines here but on a site like this people are working with wheels ect. so i did not know if it would show enough new things.

Thanks Chris for your response I did not want you to be disappointed!!
Old 05-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Awesome video! Mine has been playing almost nonstop since I got it!

There are some definite nuggets of information in it and some of David's techniques will have you slapping your forehead! We rely on tools so much that it is really neat to see what can be done with simple hand tools.

I have some questions for David later

Tim D.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Default Better and better

I'm watched the first time through and it's just got better and better.

Joe Hartson called me yesterday and said I was wrong about my comment that it was the BEST metalshaping DVD out there.

"Oh yeah." I replied.

"Yeah...it's even better!" he responded.

Most the DVDs out there skip steps where 'magic happens'. David takes you through some complete tasks, start to METALFINISHED! Really amazing stuff!

Plus, I'm learning how to speak British...Brilliant...simply Brilliant (Very good in Brit Speak)
Old 05-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Received my copy of the DVD and have viewed it once. The information in this DVD is excellent. This would have saved me years of trial and error and lots of scrap. For what it cost it is something that everyone should have. I agree with Kerry, you should get this first before you buy any tool. The presentation is great and well done. Thanks for the quick shipping.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Administrator

I've enjoyed my DVD repeatedly since it arrived!

Who needs porn with videos like this available?

Tim D.