All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-11-2010, 05:24 PM

Default Backup Validation

My wife works as an application and database administrator. So I know that it is non-trivial to make sure that information is not lost and to verify the backup and retrieval process. Databases are way more complex than files on our personal computer. For database administrators a verified backup process is the cornerstone of their integrity. Sadly as we all know now, some ignore that cornerstone to their and our eventual disappointment. Congrats to our guys for doing the test........and doing it successfully!

John C.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Administrator

A big thanks needs to go to Joe Hartson as well! It was Joe's idea to set up a test forum and use that to verify the backups. I had been looking at/for ways to test the SQL database files locally (on my own PC, that is).

We've been up and running for about a year now, and I feel there is already too much good information to risk. Besides the database backup, the test forum folders, as well as two of my hard drives, also contain a full backup copy of everything else needed to operate the site. Thus, if there is a crash of the main server, we will have copies of everything to get it back up and running ASAP.

Kerry and I are planning to share backup duties, meaning that backup copies will exist in more than one place and the game plan is to train ALL of the administrators in the backup/restore process using the test forum - which will be backed up with a current copy of the main forum. Though we haven't decided how long, backup copies will also be retained after new ones are made. We'll probably keep 3 backups, i.e. the latest and greatest as well as the two previous backups - all stored on at least 2 computers plus the copies on the server.

We, the Operations Team, feel it important to make this information public.

Tim D.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:15 PM

Well done, Tim!
Old 04-11-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hartson View Post
Tim, consider yourself a permanent employee. Thanks for you hard work.
I think you should double his salary.

John
Old 04-12-2010, 07:47 PM

Backups! that's just crazy talk
Old 04-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Some more good news. Tim wrote up a set of directions for the three of us and we tested backing up a test site to a file, and restoring that backup to the original test site. That is good.

However, the real test if if we can RESTORE the production site to the backup site. Today I was able to do this and it gives me a lot of confidence in the backup strategy. The backup site was created with month or so old data. Since then we have created a new forum (shop tours).

AllMetalShaping is basically a data base (think file cabinet), forums are the folders and posts are individual pieces of paper filed in the folders. It really is that simply. Of course there are all sorts of software that indexes and locates data.

Anyway, the restore strategy created the new forum AND populated it without a hitch as well as restoring all the other data. If it did that it should do anything we ask of it. Tim you did good!
Old 06-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

We've recently had quite a few members join us from the other side of the world which is a great thing. The problem is that we now have quite a few users on the site at any given time, 24x7. We've always tried to wait until there were only a few people online before we did our backup but this is proving to be more and more difficult.

So if you see a message that says:

Sorry for any inconvenience, but the forum is down for routine maintenance or backup. It should be back up and running soon.

We've shut down the database while we back it up. This process literally only takes 2-3 minutes so go get a cup of coffee or drink of water, and we'll be right back up.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:41 AM

Take two Atta-boys out of petty cash.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:25 AM

Thanks guys for all you do to keep this place up and run. Now if you could only teach it how to spell!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:22 PM

Thumbs up

Ditto on thanking you guys for all of your efforts, even if I wouldn't have a clue how to do it. I am still amazed at pocket calculators.