All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default Styles of bucks for metal shaping - By Bill H**

This thread was originally posted on the old site. The original thread with photos can be found here:

http://allmetalshaping.forumsdot.com....php?f=14&t=25

Please make all new posts for this thread on the new site...that is HERE. We will be working to get the photos moved over.

BillH Post subject: Styles of bucks for metal shaping.
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:50 pm

I have been fretting this human form sculpture type project. I went and picked up a few sheets of 1.5" E.P.S. (extruded poly styrene) I had planed on gluing them together, and starting to carve the form, fill with drywall mud, sand prime and make patterns.

With two major issues at hand, one he will be mounted to a wheel of sorts looking to be riding a unicycle. The other it is a wavy kind of a form. I just cant figure out how to start.

I do have photos of a model (sort of a model), that I can scale from, I also have an opaque projector. What I was thinking was what are different ways to do it that would be most adaptable ?

Something I have considered and would probably be nice to have as an interior support of sorts would be like this. Johnny and I made a quick linear stretch die for the recipricating hammer. WE sheared and broke length wise 90, and turned it into a spiral pretty much. Now what I was thinking was to make a series of profiles of the shape (human form), and match them like I would a contour gage to my pattern, so I could have a flange on both sides I thought I could tack the angles to make a (T) and shrink/stretch the ctr leg to achieve the basic form.

Any thoughts?

I do know I could carve it in the foam no problem, other than the size of it and the likely hood of the arms, legs and head braking off are pretty high. If I go this route i might as well just start making a plywood form and gauges, but figured I would probably have issues with shoulders, and other joint areas (not unlike life).

Then there is the idea of making the whole form with rod (1/4-1/2" welding series of circles, s-curves etc.

I may just model it up with pole/tube armature, add chicken wire, throw on plaster,and start sanding away. I dont want to just make a mess of it, and am having a hard time with how I think I should start, so though this might be a good place to ask about the subject.
BH

Kerry Pinkerton Post subject: Re: Styles of bucks for metal shaping.
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:14 pm

Location: Harvest, Al Bill, I'm a visual kind of guy and I'm just not following your textual description....

http://wheelingmachines.com

tdoty Post subject: Re: Styles of bucks for metal shaping.
Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:31 am
Help Desk
I may just model it up with pole/tube armature, add chicken wire, throw on plaster,and start sanding away. I dont want to just make a mess of it, and am having a hard time with how I think I should start, so though this might be a good place to ask about the subject.

That sounds like the "typical" sculptor's approach. It also sounds like the easiest approach to modelling a human form, no matter the media. Lotsa help, ain't I?

Tim D.

jhnarial Post subject: Re: Styles of bucks for metal shaping.
Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:54 am
Site Admin
Location: Excelsior Springs Mo. If it were me and it is a abstract human form I would make a wire structure.

BillH Post subject: Re: Styles of bucks for metal shaping.
Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:35 pm

Location: Kansas City ok Kerry, here is what I am looking at.

This is sort of the form I am going to be going with, but adding more depth and curve to it.

THis was an attempt to see what kind of flow I wanted. (a bit over done).

It seemed to flat, so I tried making a full scale head section like this.

The trial and error part of this, was I wanted to see how far I could do this simple form and still make the neck. Well, that got cut off,and I am going to approch it a little differently when I get the buck/model done.

I decided I will start with rolled tube sections to get the basic line/balance then build it up with rod, wire, wire cloth, and then plaster or drywall mud. Ill know in a few days if I made a good or bad decision.