All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-13-2014, 04:57 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Hi Marcin,

Thank you for your interest. I will take some and post them here. I am glad you like the thread.

I am really grateful for all the nice comments from everyone.
David

All things are possible.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:52 AM
MetalShaper of the Month

This is the plastic tooling I used to put the swage in the wings.

Disclaimer

The opinions I express are just that - my opinions based on forty years of metalworking and welding experience and thirty plus years of shaping metal. I in no way am implying that the way I do things is the only way of doing things. Please don't think I am saying that anyone has to do things the way I do them I only show what I do in the hope that some may find it interesting or helpful.

David

All things are possible.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:07 PM

David,
I am a perfect autodidact in metalshaping. I appply it to my little car restoration projects only, not interesting enough to be shown here. I’ve bought your DVD, I follow your threads for a while and I try to learn from. So, I am not an expert in the matter but I am convinced that if your way to do the job is not the only one it is very often simply the best way to do it.
Thank you for sharing your mastership with us and keep us up to date, please.
Sincerly,
Georges Gruszka

PS. Sorry for my very imperfect english.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:30 AM
MetalShaper of the Month

Thank you so much Georges. It means a lot to know you enjoy my threads.

David

All things are possible.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:59 PM

Hi David,
You should know that your posts are greatly appreciated. Without them I would never have started my hotrod project or thought a rusty fender could be saved. With every post you are passing some of your opinions and unique ways of doing things to those who have an interest in keeping this tradition alive. I haven't been posting because I am trying to earn an engineering degree, but I read and enjoy your work knowing you could be using your time for other things.... Although I have never met you, I would consider you a friend because of your willingness to help others. Also, there is no need to apologize for your opinions. Your posts are always humble and hearing a different way of doing things only gives us more tools for the toolbox on our shoulders.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:10 PM

Thumbs up Thanks

David, thanks for taking the time to photograph and explain your work. I like watching your way of building things. The way you break it down into manageable chunks makes a lot of sense.

One advantage you have had is that you have examined old parts that were made by hand, so this style makes sense to you. Whereas a lot of us have only seen parts stamped out on huge presses. Do you have any photographs of old parts which show the original welds?

I think that the O/A torch set is one of the first tools anyone that works with metal should get. They are extremely versatile, and are the right tool for this type of work.

Everyone thinks they could do this or that if only they had more tools. I appreciate your message that this is not true. You first need gumption and knowledge.

Thanks for attempting to impart some of your knowledge upon us!
Old 01-30-2015, 02:07 PM
MetalShaper of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinhunt View Post
Hi David,
You should know that your posts are greatly appreciated. Without them I would never have started my hotrod project or thought a rusty fender could be saved. With every post you are passing some of your opinions and unique ways of doing things to those who have an interest in keeping this tradition alive. I haven't been posting because I am trying to earn an engineering degree, but I read and enjoy your work knowing you could be using your time for other things.... Although I have never met you, I would consider you a friend because of your willingness to help others. Also, there is no need to apologize for your opinions. Your posts are always humble and hearing a different way of doing things only gives us more tools for the toolbox on our shoulders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzook View Post
David, thanks for taking the time to photograph and explain your work. I like watching your way of building things. The way you break it down into manageable chunks makes a lot of sense.

One advantage you have had is that you have examined old parts that were made by hand, so this style makes sense to you. Whereas a lot of us have only seen parts stamped out on huge presses. Do you have any photographs of old parts which show the original welds?

I think that the O/A torch set is one of the first tools anyone that works with metal should get. They are extremely versatile, and are the right tool for this type of work.

Everyone thinks they could do this or that if only they had more tools. I appreciate your message that this is not true. You first need gumption and knowledge.

Thanks for attempting to impart some of your knowledge upon us!
Thank you very much guys. I just wanted to say thank you for your very kind words. I am so pleased that you like my posts. I try to be helpful.

I am no the only person that works this way. look at Mark Nugent's work and you will see he puts his joints in the same places as I do. If you look at the panel that is upside down on the bench here...

http://theoldmotor.com/?attachment_id=85869

...you can see that it is made from no less than seven sections and that is only the front area of a Bentley wing. Mark learned his trade at http://www.crailville.com/coach/index.htm here in the UK.

Of course that panel is aluminium which will take more shape than steel like these BMW wings are made from.

There is nothing wrong with having machines if you want them or if they make the job easier. If you don't have them or if the cost of owning them outweighs the value given to you by them there is usually a way of getting the job done.

Thanks again.

David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 01-30-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:10 PM

Default Nice to see your back on here.

Hi David.
It's nice to see your back on here. I was getting a bit worried you not going to post on here any more.