All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-21-2018, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkolenda View Post
Hey Kerry , good to see you going at it again.A 1/8 inch. gap in bare metal will close up quite a bit once you add primer and paint. You may want to open it up a bit.Bob.

that never crossed my mind. What do you suggest Bob? 3/16?
Old 06-23-2018, 07:43 AM

Glad to see that you have been, putting time in on the Roadster Kerry you are making good progress! Its been interesting watching the car come alive over the years. Be well!
Old 06-23-2018, 09:07 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
that never crossed my mind. What do you suggest Bob? 3/16?
Yes Kerry,3/16 the should do it.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:24 PM
Administrator

A little more progress.

I wanted to get the hinges squared away to verify they would actually work with the decklid without further modification.

I tacked a reinforcing piece to the outer perimeter frame. I CAREFULLY measured and drilled the holes in the tulip panel then positioned the frame where I wanted and marked the holes. Once drilled, the hinges fit perfectly with spacers as planned although the vertical alignment is still off because the spacers are not correct but that won't be an issue. Better yet, the frame opens and closes fine. No binding, wobble, or side to side movement and it swings up and down just fine. Now I can trim it for the required gap of 1/4" all around. After that, I'll finish shaping the decklid and install it on the frame. 1/4" gap plus the .063 wrap of the decklid material will yield a 3/16 gap before primer and paint.

Name:  20180624_130027_resized.jpg
Views: 2366
Size:  62.0 KB

Name:  20180624_130038_resized.jpg
Views: 2258
Size:  75.2 KB

But first, I needed to do something about the quality of my opening. I failed miserably at tipping a nice tight 90...miserably! Because of the fabrication I did on the weatherstrip flange, it's hard to get to the area to slap it into a tighter 90. So I cheated and ran a TIG bead around the 90 and will file it to a 1/16 radius.

Name:  20180624_145452_resized.jpg
Views: 2212
Size:  57.5 KB

I've ordered a new fuel pump which didn't come in today. I really need to get the car outside and make sure I'm happy with the profiles.

Last week, I read through this entire 12 year saga. I have to admit it's been quite the journey and while I've made most every possible mistake at least once (and too often multiple times), I've also learned a great deal.

While reading, I got to the part a few pages back where we were discussing the side vents. One reason I want to get it outside is so I can make some temporary panels with the various vent designs and take some photos. I'm not sure I'll change anything but I won't know until I know.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:38 PM
Administrator

No shaping but a huge step forward. The engine has not been started in 4 years or so. Yesterday, I drained about 4 gallons of bad gas, replaced the fuel pump, and picked up a kit for the carb (500cfm Edelbrock). Once I got the carb apart I saw that I didn't need the kit and will be taking it back. There was varnish EVERYWHERE and the screens on the float needle seat were plugged completely. That probably explains why it wouldn't run except when I primed it.

All better now. Fires right up and idles great. Now to make a path so I can back it out of the shop for some perspective. Also, the lift room needs a LOT of TLC so I need to spend a few days cleaning it up and cleaning it out. It's been embarassing to post photos that showed all the crap in the back ground.

Better days ahead.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:32 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
No shaping but a huge step forward. The engine has been started in 4 years or so. Yesterday, I drained about 4 gallons of bad gas, replaced the fuel pump, and picked up a kit for the carb (500cfm Edelbrock). Once I got the carb apart I saw that I didn't need the kit and will be taking it back. There was varnish EVERYWHERE and the screens on the float needle seat were plugged completely. That probably explains why it wouldn't run except when I primed it.

All better now. Fires right up and idles great. Now to make a path so I can back it out of the shop for some perspective. Also, the lift room needs a LOT of TLC so I need to spend a few days cleaning it up and cleaning it out. It's been embarassing to post photos that showed all the crap in the back ground.

Better days ahead.
Hi,
We use aviation gas 100LL (Low Lead) for engines that sit a lot as the fuel doesn't go bad. Most airport will fill a five gallon container if you tell them what it is for.

Very nice project.

Bill

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:05 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Glad to hear you got your engine running again.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Got it outside for some perspective shots. Also installed the wheel centers. Don't forget there will be a panel below the door to connect the front and rear fender bottoms.

I took some shots at different elevations. Still thinking about the side vents. Will definitely do something different.

Name:  Image00001.jpg
Views: 1932
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  Image00002.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  Image00003.jpg
Views: 1824
Size:  75.3 KB

And for perspective, here are the glamor shots from the generation 1 back end that I cut off.

Name:  D-014s.jpg
Views: 1759
Size:  61.8 KB

Name:  D-015s.jpg
Views: 1733
Size:  55.1 KB

Back to the current

Name:  Image00010.jpg
Views: 1733
Size:  50.8 KB

Name:  Image00013.jpg
Views: 1777
Size:  72.8 KB

Name:  Imagex00001.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  Image00016.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  43.3 KB

Name:  Image00022.jpg
Views: 1767
Size:  37.7 KB

Name:  Image00023.jpg
Views: 1736
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  Image00024.jpg
Views: 1702
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  Image00025.jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  45.1 KB

Name:  Image00026.jpg
Views: 1737
Size:  39.7 KB

Name:  Image00027.jpg
Views: 1770
Size:  32.3 KB

Once I finish up organizing in the lift room, I'll get back on the decklid. I'm going to, once again, attempt to keep the shop de-cluttered so I can back it out from time to time.

She runs but not well. I think I need to spend more time on tuning it. I also want to redo the clutch slave cylinder. With the original headers, there was not room for a traditional push slave so I went with a pull cylinder. It never was as smooth as I wanted it to be. Now that I have cast iron split headers, I have room to go back to a standard push cylinder. I think the problem is the cylinder itself but as long as I'm changing it, I'd rather go back to a more standard setup.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:39 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2018, July 2022

I know it's taken a long time, but it is now a great looking car and quite an achievement. You're sure to get someone say, 'my grandfather had one of these'!!!
Glad you're back on it.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:43 PM

Wow! The car looks great, and major props for sticking with the project for so long.