All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-26-2012, 08:45 PM

More chopping out... the original car is going back in a cardboard box.. Brian can keep it under his bench and let folk know he has two 33s, one on the chassis and another in bits.. lol.....

Ive not made much progress other than working out how it comes apart and goes back together, evn then there was so many bad bits it was hard to find anything that gave a clue as to how it should have been put together so there is some poetic licence ...

Name:  IMG_1318.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  20.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1319.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  19.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1320.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  18.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1322.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  19.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1323.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  19.2 KB
Old 02-26-2012, 09:15 PM

Fantastic work!
Old 02-27-2012, 02:54 PM

You da man Ian,

I will take all the left overs when yer finished, i can feel some modern/garage art coming on, i will entitle it 33 crap and as long as the rust cancer isnt contageous it can share the garage with the 33 coupe.

Lookin forward to seeing the progress over the next couple weeks.

Cheers
Old 02-27-2012, 03:27 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2014

Great job on the 'not in the box' '33 . Keep the pictures coming Ian.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the possitive comments.

Nick, I read through your invision projects posts and Im simply gobsmacked, I have a long way to go before I get to the level your at. Your comments are appreciated as are all the possitive comments that have ben made so far.
l think the posts on this forum provide loads of encouragment for folk at all levels... Its the best resource for metal working info I have ever come across....everyone is willing to help, where else can you find that these days

Thanks again
Old 02-27-2012, 06:15 PM

hi ian ,nice work, you never know what is under paint work been there found it as well. at this rate you will have to get a stamp made in scotland look forward to seeing some more.

LEARN from the mistakes of outhers, you cant live long enought to make them all yourself
Old 02-27-2012, 06:43 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Hi Ian, comming on nicely! lots of work in one of these things, I know I have made several sets of wing (oops fenders) and I once made most of the outer skin (and a lot of the inner structure) for this '33 All hand made and I did not have a pullmax in those days. The only bit visible in this photo that I did not make is the bit painted yellow! (part of the door screen). I made the rear fenders too.

Keep up the good work.

David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 02-27-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:48 PM

Hi Dave, Ive seen the pics of that 33 3window before, I thought you built the whole thing from scratch, not just 99% of it ..
On every project I learn some new skills and sometimes increase my confidence level, although I never really feel that confident where I could say any of this was second nature, maybee one day
It would be great if you had some more pics of that 33, some build ups and some of the internal structure as this car is void of most of the inner door surrounds etc..

Thanks again all
Old 02-28-2012, 01:23 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Hi Ian, I didn't make even that percentage, Most of the work was on the side in the photo, the other side was not quite so bad. Unfortunatly I dont have many photos of the build. I only got my digital camera towards the end of the build. Another problem is that the car had been started when it came to me- it was done by a well known hot rod shop based in Wisbech. I show a little of what they did on youtube. They cut the bottom of the doors off from the beltline down and replaced it all with badly made sections on the inside and an overlapped home (very badly) made half doorskin on the outside so all the detail was gone I had to workout what the hell to do with it.

A new floor had been put in and although this was not too badly done one side gap between the A post and the B post was smaller than the other which caused me no end of problems.

If I can find time I will post photos of the build in another thread. You should do a search on the hamb for photos of a standard un-molested body, I have found loads of photos of the '27 T body.

David

All things are possible.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:20 AM

Dave this one has had a new floor fitted too and funny enough the door gaps differ by 3/4 inch left to right. After 4 hours of measuring I narrowed it down to the right side B post at the lower mount. Fortunately this was evidenced by the tapered strip that was wlded to the edge of the doorskin.. Unfortunately th rear quarters had turned in where the new wheel tubs had been welded to the ouer skins all overlapped and done with mig...

There is just so much to consider before even cutting anything, then once cut more nasties are revealed that need more thought and fabrication..

I would have liked to be further on with the repairs but I dont want to rush it.