All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-05-2014, 03:43 PM

Default Repairing weld distortion near pick up bed roll

Hi

I need some advice on removing some distortion following welding of a patch panel. I replaced a portion of the 'wing' (top) section of a 51 Ford F1 pickup bed near the bed roll. Despite going extremely slowly, there's a bid of distortion whereby the folded edge between the vertical side of the box and the wing has bowed outward (towards the outside of the box) and has pulled the vertical wall of the box along with it. Fortunately the bed roll doesn't appear to have distorted. It's clear to me that the metal in the welded area of the wing has shrunk from the heat and will need to be stretched to get the edge straight again; in particular, stretching along the bottom edge of the wing before it changes to the vertical side. My question is whether the vertical section will now need to be shrunk along with it? How will I be able to tell if and when I need to do some shrinking?

distortion1.jpg

distortion2.jpg

Thanks

Jeff

still looking for a good signature

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 10-05-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:24 PM

Hi Jeff, to me it looks like you need to dress the welded area till it's the same thickness as the parent metal then planish the weld at the sides and along the bottom edge, you may also have to dress the underside of the roll edge as well. If the weld bead is thick it makes it harder to straighten.
Good luck with it Cheers John
Old 10-06-2014, 07:48 PM

Thanks John. So you don't think the vertical part of the box side will require shrinking to restore to the proper 'location'?

Old 10-06-2014, 08:10 PM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Jeff, shrinking is what pulled the panel outward, that's the last thing you need any more of. Planish (stretch) the long weld beads (both top and bottom) to help move the bedside back inward. Shrinking the vertical panel will only pull the crease downward as well, pulling everything out even more..

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 10-06-2014, 09:51 PM

I'll buy that. Unfortunately the upper weld is so close to the bed roll, I'm going to have a hard time grinding it much less getting a dolly close

thanks for the reply

Jeff

Old 10-08-2014, 05:03 AM

Forgot to mention you have to stretch those welds by planishing, just as Robert mentioned.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:22 AM

Do you have an air cutoff tool? Like this? http://www.alltradetools.com/catalog...toff-tool.html

If so, they work great for grinding down just the weld without putting extra heat in or removing unnecessary metal from the surrounding areas.

"If you're not living on the edge then you're just taking up space"
Old 10-08-2014, 04:34 PM

That would be perfect for the job.

My cut off tool is long shaft but with-out the reverse function, identical to the Eastwood one, shown in the link.

http://www.eastwood.com/4-in-air-cut...d-reverse.html
Old 07-23-2015, 10:15 PM

So, I've found the time (courage) to attempt this repair. I've been planishing the 'wing' section and it's coming along, but I'm finding that the lower part of the vertical section still has a concave shape to it (in the direction that the box side was pulled from welding on the wing). There's also a bit of oil-canning going on on the side. But, I'm not entirely certain that the side was completely straight before the welding.

A couple more stupid questions:

When the (vertical) side got pulled from the welding of the wing, the metal along the side was stretched - correct? Could this stretching be permanent? Maybe that's the definition of warping/weld distortion.

How far out from the weld area is common for planishing? The weld was about 3/4" from the corner. Should I expect to have to also stretch down the vertical section of the box side below the welded part of the wing?

Thanks again

Last edited by jeffgies; 07-23-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:08 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgies View Post
So, I've found the time (courage) to attempt this repair. I've been planishing the 'wing' section and it's coming along, but I'm finding that the lower part of the vertical section still has a concave shape to it (in the direction that the box side was pulled from welding on the wing). There's also a bit of oil-canning going on on the side. But, I'm not entirely certain that the side was completely straight before the welding.

A couple more stupid questions:

When the (vertical) side got pulled from the welding of the wing, the metal along the side was stretched - correct? Could this stretching be permanent? Maybe that's the definition of warping/weld distortion.

How far out from the weld area is common for planishing? The weld was about 3/4" from the corner. Should I expect to have to also stretch down the vertical section of the box side below the welded part of the wing?

Thanks again
Jeff,
No such thing as as stoopid question - stoonts remain stoopid by not asking. I think I've heard every question by now, so's can't say I've heard a dumb one - though some people have come damn close!

Welding shrinks. Always. Welding engrs call it: "negative weld volume." Like gravity, it is tough to repeal, though you can reverse its effects.

Working/stretching the weld-affected area is required, post-weld. Area may be as much as 1.5" / 38mm from the weld.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.