All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-25-2015, 02:07 PM

Default welding helmet upgrade

I have been thinking of upgrading to an auto darkening helmet recently. I have been researching speedglas, and miller. Im just not sure if I need to spend $300 on a helmet.

I have always had a normal flip down helmet with a gold lens. Seems to be ok, but I run into a lot of times where I either need a third hand or I am in a position that is hard to flip the helmet.
I forgot to mention that I do like the grinding feature of some of the nicer helmets. Makes it nice to not have to change head gear all the time.

Wondered what opinions were on upgrading and what helmet is best. I understand some of this is brand loyalty and personal preference. I am more looking for objective advice.

Thanks!

Last edited by englishwheeler; 01-25-2015 at 02:28 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 01-25-2015, 02:43 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

Hi Cliff. I bought a cheap auto darkening helmet probably 15 years ago and it changed my welding neatness immensely - I was only using MIG at that point. The cheap helmet failed very quickly so I splashed out on a Speedglas which was nearly $800 NZ at the time (a few more nights spent sleeping in the coal shed...). The Speedglas hasn't missed a beat and has sufficient control to cope with the TIG that I have now bought and use almost exclusively. Apparently some of the cheaper AD helmets struggle with low amperage TIG work.

Prices of good gear have dropped dramatically over the last 10 years. I have just bought a Lincoln Viking 3350 for my youngest who wants to get involved in Formula SAE at university this year. Ability to TIG is an advantage, so time to pass on some of my misspent youth... The Lincoln 3350 has a huge viewing area and the ability to hold a magnifying lens for those of us who need a hand in this area. Price was around $300 NZ from my local welding shop. Good value in my opinion and bits should be available further down the track when needed. Always an issue with cheap online stuff.

Well worth getting a good hat in my opinion. Cheap in the long run.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:45 PM

Dear Cliff,
I bought an ELMAG MultiSafeVario XXL for MIG and TIG. Good helmet,
prize in Germany between 100-150€ depending on source and colour scheme. Maybe it is availble in the states.

Andreas
Old 01-25-2015, 05:31 PM

I have a Millers and the difference it made to my MIG welding especially, was chalk-and-cheese, mainly because of the adjustable filtering and the wide-angle view of the work.

Buy a good brand at the higher price range and you will never regret it - even the divorce will seem worthwhile,

Cheers Charlie
Old 01-25-2015, 05:38 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Cliff,
I've had 4 auto darkening helmets, including a high-dollar Miller, but just last week I switched to a Lincoln Viking 1840 ($169 on eBay). WOW! I can see clearly. Switch, and adjustment, is conveniently on the outside of the helmet. Highly recommended.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:52 PM

No specific brand opinion, but some research suggestions: If you do a lot of TIG at low amps, check the on amperage threshold of the helmets, cheap ones need a brighter arc to darken. Also check darkening times, cheap helmets typically publish "time to lighten" not time to go dark. A quality helmet will have all the specs, not just the one.

Better helmets have more than one arc sensor. Valuable, virtually critical, when welding in amongst tubing or other structure that may shield the arc from the sensor.

Higher end helmets also now come with larger viewing windows.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:17 PM

Got a Optrel e670 last year.love it..
Old 01-27-2015, 12:10 AM

Default Helmets

Have used HF for MIG for quite some time. They last up until a point, and then it's time for a new one. Started doing some TiG on thin materials, and the helmet would flash on and off. Guess the arc wasn't enough to trigger the darkening. Picked up a Speedglas helmet at a swap meet, and it works great, all the time. They are a pricey option, but I haven't seen any bad reviews. I got lucky and paid a whole $15 for mine. Had to replace the inside and outside cover lenses though.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:40 AM

Default new helmet

I have 3 or 4 auto darkening helmets in the shop, 2 are mine and 2 are my son's. They seem to collect smoke residue on the lenses. after a while I have to take them apart to clean off the film. And at my age my eyes are not that good any more. On an other Forum a pro auto body man said he used the chin operated helmet. Has any one else used one
http://www.accustrike.com/
Old 01-28-2015, 02:00 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Over 20 years ago I met jehammer1952 at Scott Knight’s class. He told me he already had several Speedglas helmets at his shop with no problems so I bought one as soon as I got home and have used it since then without problems (thanks John).

I had a chin opener helmet and it wouldn’t completely close when you were welding directly over the weld but it did work OK for welds on the side of a car. The biggest problem is you can’t wear a welding mask for lung protection when using it. I really can’t recommend it for that reason alone. ~ John Buchtenkirch

Last edited by John Buchtenkirch; 01-28-2015 at 02:06 PM.