All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-29-2017, 12:33 PM

Default First patch attempt

I finally got far enough along to start my first patch repair attempt. It's for a 57' Metropolitan door. I tried wheeling a rise into the part first but seemed to chase my tail getting the curve along the bend to come down. On something like this is it better to put the 90 bend in first then work the shape?

IMG_2909.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg
Old 09-02-2017, 01:50 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoppy View Post
I finally got far enough along to start my first patch repair attempt. It's for a 57' Metropolitan door. I tried wheeling a rise into the part first but seemed to chase my tail getting the curve along the bend to come down. On something like this is it better to put the 90 bend in first then work the shape?

Attachment 42949

Attachment 42950
Sometimes you have to work both ways to find which is better. Your part looks good - does it fit okay?
Sometimes the crown is first and then the edge turn. And then again, sometimes it is the edge turning first .... and then gentle hammering (by hand) to raise the crown to get the right fit.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:39 PM

I struggled with accepting the fact that I will NOT be able to make a piece on the first attempt with one piece of material. I'm hard headed and impatient and usually racing the clock. I have gotten better about expecting multiple attempts, better known now as learning experiences or experiments and trying to slow down and enjoy the challenge and study the craft. It's hard to unlearn the production shop mentality when you are approaching it from the art of finer craftsmanship. It is nice when you can relax the desire to get to the finished product in a hurry and enjoy the journey. Make a good scrap pile. Kent is right, try it both ways and see what works best. Enjoy the journey on your way to the finished product!

Gando
David Gandy
Concord, N.C.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I am on to the next patch on the front fender. It has a compound curve with a rounded over edge. I'm on my fourth attempt but learning each time. I am now starting with the rounded flange then shrinking on the flange to bring the vertical side of the fender patch down. The problem I have been facing is how to get the flange side to turn in. Someday I'll figure some of this out.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:27 PM

Shoppy, and others,

Referencing Gando’s points about patience, expecting multiple attempts, trying to slow down and his compliment to Kent.

Having the experience to watch Kent in action, the first, and still strongest, impression is the incredible intensity of his concentration as he works the metal.

One is reminded of the Jim Croce song: “You don’t tug on Superman’s cape” (or a police officer’s pistol)

He re-programs in response to what the metal is doing, “on the fly.” I’m a better metalshaper for the experience.

FWIW