All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-02-2017, 03:06 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Default More thanks to sponsors of the redneck Roundup.

I was having trouble with the following picture, so I started a new post.
Craig Peterson with Dagger tools made the trip to the Redneck Roundup for the second year and was also Very generous to those in attendance. In addition to his generosity, he a very knowledgeable gentleman and freely shared his experiences with us here at the Roundup.

RR4Sat 052.jpg

We also had great door prizes from MANY other kind folks like Jimmy Matthews, Stan Fulton, Dan Shady, Mike Yurko, Cotton Eubanks, Dal Larue, Cary Culpepper and probably some one that missed. Here is a link to other items that Dagger Tools has available. http://www.daggertools.com/44.html

A special thanks to Jeff Fournier who was also VERY generous with a number of prizes, but especially a set of very shiny T-dollies, a pair of hammer forming DVD's and other items. Here is a link to other items that Jeff offers. http://www.fournierenterprises.com/6m3.html

Another note of Appreciation to Ben and his Mechammer. Not only was his machine is constant use (I failed to get a good photo -Sorry, Ben), but Ben provided several of his very popular small, easy, useable radius gauges. Here is a link to Ben's Mechammer. http://www.mechammer.com/
Mechammer 033.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 04-02-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:57 PM

Default Many bucks in use at the Redneck Roundup

We had several bucks available for use and made a couple of new ones as well.

Jim and I at the final assembly of the wood radiator buck that will be used to start the body fabrication the conclusion of the chassis welding.
HallFame 004.jpg

Wood radiator buck with out the original grill shell installed.
RR4Wed 029.jpg

Bob Baisden's concrete buck made for use on his Ford Cobra build.
RR4Sat 016.jpg

Modifications made to the original radiator shell buck
RR4Wed 003.jpg

More modifications made to the original radiator shell buck
RR4Wed 002.jpg

These bucks were made for Cotton Eubanks to use in building aluminum panels to build a scale model land Speed record belly tanker.
Pat1 031.jpg

This buck is for the canopy area of Cottons belly tanker model.
RR4Sat 030.jpg

This recently completed buck is for building a Model A fender
RR4Sat 020.jpg

RR4Sat 019.jpg

Left rear for the Bugatti build.
RR4Sat 017.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 04-05-2017 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:20 PM

Default Tool Exchange pictures from RR4

The tool exchange was good again this year. I like doing this. I received the wooden slapper right in front of me, made by A.C, Clint Button II (Cliffrod)
RR4Sat 056.jpg

There were (12) tools available at the table this year. We had 38 attendees so that works out to 1/3rd of the attendees brought a tool. THANKS guys!
RR4Sat 061.jpg

Jake 'Tiny' Ladd (Memphisrain) won a Dan Shady slapper and a set of corking' tools
RR4Sat 064.jpg

Dan Shady got a pair of metal slappers made by Steve Hamilton.
RR4Sat 066.jpg

Steve Hamilton got a shaping hammer made by Jake Ladd.
RR4Sat 068.jpg

Jeff Newton picks out set of handmade vixen file handle made by Jimmy Matthews.
RR4Sat 070.jpg

Clint Button (Cliffrod) chooses a hand powered bead roller from Dan Pate.
RR4Sat 076.jpg

Andrew Slater picks up the slick tool that Mike Yurko made for steadying your hand when TIG welding.
RR4Sat 077.jpg

Pat Brubaker (Patman) chooses a tool that Tom Olson made to hold a sharpie when creating a radius.
RR4Sat 085.jpg

Tom Olson picks up the set of edge tipping tools that I provided.

RR4Sat 087.jpg

Not shown are Jimmy Matthews that got the slick tucking tool made by Pat Brubaker (Patman), and Mike Yurko chose the TIG torch 'spot welder' that was made by Jeff Newton.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 04-05-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:24 PM

Default Bugatti build parts

Assorted items were made for Jim Hery's Bugatti build.

These are the fixtures that will be used to fabricate the chassis for the T57 Bugatti.
HallFame 006.jpg

They were layed out by Barry Duckworth, drilled by Dale Larue and welded by John Trautnau.
HallFame 007.jpg

Dale Larue acquired and cut the holes in mill for the inner tube on the long Bugatti muffler.
RR4Sat 002.jpg

Some pieces had to be 'borrowed' from the original tank.
RR4Sat 012.jpg

This is the left side, outside end panel for the gas tank showing the location for the gas filler inlet tube.
RR4Sat 013.jpg

Jim Hery is viewing an assortment of sheet metal parts for the Bugatti radiator shell that was made by Mark Quells from Tennessee.
RR4Sat 014.jpg

A prototype rolled section for the gas tank made by Robert Robinson from Georgia.
RR4Sat 032.jpg

This is the radiator mount fixture for the build table. John Trautnau is using the radiator crank bracket support as a hole locator.
RR4Sat 099.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RR4Sat 003.jpg (34.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg RR4Sat 005.jpg (34.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by RockHillWill; 04-03-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:30 PM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2016

The tool exchange is always good! I love the idea of making and exchanging handcrafted tools. I have two from Steve Hamilton, one from Bob Kolenda, one from Jeff Newton and the latest one from Mike Yurko. All have a story and a history, and are treasured items.

The door prizes are also treasured items. This year I won a very nice wood bossing mallet to match it's larger cousin from Craig at Dagger Tools, an extremely nice set of supple deerskin TIG welding gloves from Steve Hamilton at Hamilton Classics, and a pair of Snap-On socks from Dan Shady at Vintage Automotive. . .which for the record, are THE most comfortable socks I've ever worn (I should have never doubted you Dan Pate!).

Seriously folks, if you are a member of this site, do yourself a favor and make the time for an event. You will learn a ton of things, and make life-long friends. I usually use all my vacation time to make these events. You will be there 12-16 hours per day, just trying to absorb as much information as possible.

If you want someone to do your project for you, this is not the place. But, if you need advice, everyone is more than willing to help you. These events are for people willing to learn, and those who have a passion for metalshaping. Think of them as "mini-apprenticeships". . .there is an amazing amount of talent any any given event. You will be a better shaper for attending one.

I've been working on my YSR50 fairing at almost every event over the years, and every year it gets better due to advice from fellow shapers. I started it as a complex shape to challenge myself. It is kind of like my calibration tool. If I have to do something new, I can always look at the fairing and think about how I got there due to some key piece of knowledge. There are too many to name, but a few come to mind: Kerry Pinkerton helping me sort out FSP's and wheeling, Dan Pate discussing shape vs. arrangement and planishing, Pat Brubaker showing me how to think outside the box on weird arrangement issues, Per stressing the importance of getting the shape and arrangement correct before welding, Steve Hamilton helping me with any number of issues I was having over the years, and Will and Jeff Newton for getting the brain juices flowing on the any number of crazy ideas we've had.

At this event, Jim Hery was taking a break from the Bugatti project, and jumped right in helping me tackle the final hurdle for my fairing. . .the metal finishing. Working on a small 5" x 5" section, I learned more about how to pick, file, and finish in 20-30 minutes than I could have in months of working it without a watchful eye. I will always treasure this knowledge, and it is the same with all the help I've had over the years. These skilled craftsman have just jumped in to help give advice. In most instances, I didn't even ask.

If you are inspired to learn this craft, you owe a great debt of gratitude to those who post on this site, and to those who take the time to post and put on these great events.

To those who take the time out of their lives and close up their businesses to host events, Bravo Zulu.

Last edited by SWT Racing; 04-02-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:04 AM
Administrator

One of the highlights was getting to hear Will's speedster fire!

https://youtu.be/EW7F4nZkmhE

"I've never met someone with so much tenacity in all my life." - RockHillWill

@madscientistind

Last edited by memphisrain; 04-03-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Andrew let the disease continue. At 50.00 bucks a week for life you can fill your drawers full of socks
Old 04-03-2017, 12:17 PM

The best things about "the round up" are all the comments mentioned so far as well as a few I wish to add. The fellowship of like minded people of all skill levels and a culture of learning are what brings me back every year! The knowledge, techniques and friendships I've gained are immeasurable!
Will and Peggy are most gracious hosts and embodie true southern hospitality at its finest! It's always a sad trip home when it's over because it is such an awesome experience but I immediately start looking forward to the next one!

Thank you Will, Peggy and all you rednecks in metalshaping land!

"Gando"
David Gandy
Concord, N.c.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:05 PM

I had a great time at Pat's class and the following redneck roundup. I learned a lot at Pat's class including a clever use of the TuckPuck with an arbor press. Silent shaping.
It was good to be with my old redneck friends and meet some new ones.
I received a Pullmax operation DVD from Kent White as a door prize. I watched it this evening. It is very good information and much appreciated. Thank you, Kent.

TuckPuck® Metal Shaping Tools
www.tuckpuck.com
Old 04-06-2017, 12:23 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2012, Jan 2013, Oct 2013

Wish I could been with you all this year too, but no chance to " slip" away this time.
Very glad to see all fun, tricky and wow work going on!

Thanks for sharing all photos so I can " be with you" this way.

Take care!

https://www.facebook.com/metalman.sweden