All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-15-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinr6 View Post
Is there a decent priced cad program out there, Im just a home shop guy,and talking to the designers at work they say Solidworks has a monumental price. Seems all the cad programs are pricy. I have several places near me that laser and waterjet very reasonable, would like to do the design myself instead of trying to explain to someone to do it for me.Sorry to butt in,seems you guys know this stuff..
All you need to send a pattern (.dxf file) to a metal cutting service s a 2D CAD system. Dassault Systems, the firm that sells Solidworks, has a nice 2D program called Draftsight that is available in a Free version.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:03 PM

My nephew used draftsite for a high school shop project, and said that it worked great and was easy to learn. I know solidworks is probably overkill for anything that I will ever do, but I got a friends 2013 version for free when he upgraded to the 2014. So I figured why not
Old 08-15-2014, 03:12 PM

Thanks all you guy's! Simple program is all I need for what I do.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:25 PM

Default autodesk inventor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidpaint View Post
Just out of curiousity. How many people here know different programs like solidworks, etc and use them on the daily? I have the latest version of solidworks and can do very very basic designs. I have noticed in a few threads that people are designing patterns that they base buck builds off or just designing parts. Is this a useful tool to try to learn on my own or possibly take night classes? I know you can build without it, just wondering.

I started using autodesk inventor for some 3D modeling.
It`s from the same company that does AUTOCAD.
it is very easy to learn and you can get a student license (if your nephew is still in school ;-) etc.)
Solid works can probably do most of the stuff as well.

hope this helps

www.mgcustomairframe.com
www.facebook.com/mgcustomairframe/
Old 08-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Look at 123d catch, make, cnc utility and design.
I have been using a lot of the programs you mentioned to run a cnc router. For what we need for making bucks and and such. The autodesk 123d programs are the way to go.
Very powerful in the right hands.

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:44 PM

I've been a Solidworks user since '98 and before that I used Cadkey. I did a surfacing project in Cadkey with the Fastsurf add-on and found it tedious and frustrating but I got the job done. Since moving to SWx I've done two projects requiring surfaces -- the first was not very successful, the second more successful but both tedious and frustrating for different reasons than my Cadkey experience. I have a book on surfacing in SWx but I have not gone through it beginning to end like I need to because of the time required.

This is the Sauber C-9 I did a couple of years ago. It could be used to create a buck but in this case it was to be used to create tooling for the composite body. The car will be built for street use which will require a big compromise in ride height. The headlight covers, windshield and windows are all separate and are to be used to create those parts. The separate body panels are joined at the same places as the original and the panel thicknesses and recesses for the joints are all part of the data.

Sauber C9.jpg

I really need a better tool if I'm going to do serious work like this. The C-9 took a huge amount of time both in research and CAD modeling. I would not tackle a job like this without at least having stronger surfacing skills in SWx. Rhino would be a better tool.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:53 PM

For all of you that use it and I agree once its a tool you are fluent at, it will make projects easier and faster at times. But, how many of you are self taught vs schooling?
Old 08-16-2014, 04:13 PM

Self-taught with DesignCAD which I bought for my own purpose, a couple of years of occasional use, one week of Cadkey training, some years of frequent use, one week of SWx training, 16 years of frequent use (and counting).
Old 08-17-2014, 08:30 AM

Cody, no matter what you get you will wind up "self taught". I have used Alibre Design for years and even though the cad programs come with tutorials you always wind up exploring for yourself because not everything you do is a square with a couple of holes in it as the tutorials show. Alibre Design is relatively inexpensive compared to other programs. Everyone else mentioned good alternatives so spend some time online checking them all out. Be aware that today's cad programs, and I believe Alibre does, allows you to grab a surface and distort, manipulate it without having to go back and create another surface. Just decide on what's available for funds.....and much software is available for a free trial period. Plus don't forget to go thru the software a website and view the tutorials as it will give you a feel of how the software works before you try it.
George

If you are afraid to fail, you will never learn
Old 08-17-2014, 06:29 PM

Yeah Im self taught so far, which isnt much. I have done a few of the beginner tutorials and have evan bought "Solidworks for the sheet metal Guy" Its a bit outdated and makes it hard to do some of the process in it as the location of different parts of the program is either moved or eliminated. Ill just keep plugging away at the tutorials and have to stick to it a little more so I dont loose the knowledge I learn as I go.