All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-06-2014, 01:04 AM

Default questions on making a middle piece for a tank

this is my second thing I've done other than a simple bowl so I'm kind of clueless. As of now I got both sides of the tank pretty good. The picture here is when I started on the second piece, it looks a lot better now and even better than the first piece. Anyhow, to make my middle piece I figure to make a buck so I can then make a paper template. I'm guessing I have to bend it first before I add a radius on the edge of the middle piece. My question is, Do I use the original template I used for the sides to shape the middle piece to(before adding bends on edge) or do I just wing it? the side piece's outside diameter is obviously smaller now because it has shape but making the radius on the middle piece will maybe make up for it? Hopefully I'm not overthinking this and know by leaving extra material that will help but I just want my radius bends and the tank somewhat even so that's why I'm asking. Thanks for any response.

Last edited by tech69; 03-06-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:36 AM

It sure was easy to shape the side of the tank but making the middle is anything but easy. I think I got it handled. Still needs a lot of work before anything gets scribed.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:37 AM

Henry, I dont think you are overthinking it, although I have been accused of that at times

You are making good forward progress, and its a learning expierience you sure wont ever regret,

My only thoughts are that I would have made the ends seperate where you wrap them around front and back. Others wouldn't want to put any more weld seam than you have to, but I don't mind welding or finishing seams if it makes things easier for me. You may have different results.

Another thing is to have witness holes in your FSP so you can relocate it the same way each time. I only use these towards the final fitting because you may find moving it here or there a scoche to fit the panel may be an advantage.

Keep us posed on your progress, I like it!

Marty
Old 03-16-2014, 08:47 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Nice work Henry, keep posting your progress.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Administrator

I look at that top panel as a novice metal shaper that seems to get by. I am pretty decent at metal finishing weld seams. So I have no fear at breaking that panel apart into easier pieces for me to handle.

image.jpg

This is how I would tackle that top panel. The yellow top section, there is nothing more then simple rolls for the sides. This piece is the easiest panel.

I see in the picture it looks like you have the two sides held together which is very good because you will need to check fit up, seeing you do not have a pattern for the top.

After you get the sides shrunk to where it has a nice fit up, I would see what the side radius is, just guessing by looking at the picture but it looks like a 2" radius. Find a 2" dolly and make a profile gauge and true the sides up to the best of your ability. A 2" tow ball would work.

Also remember your splitting the radius don't shrink more then you have to, just leave enough so you can scribe your finish lines.

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:49 AM

yeah, maybe I bit off more than I can chew by making it in one piece.

Thanks for the ideas on radius. I just used a home made t dolly to get the radius and tried to make the curved ones somewhat the same with a shaved down dolly, bench shrinker. Still need to address them more but would like to get this top piece fit into there first, or at least going in the right direction.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Comstock View Post
Henry, I dont think you are overthinking it, although I have been accused of that at times

You are making good forward progress, and its a learning expierience you sure wont ever regret,

My only thoughts are that I would have made the ends seperate where you wrap them around front and back. Others wouldn't want to put any more weld seam than you have to, but I don't mind welding or finishing seams if it makes things easier for me. You may have different results.

Another thing is to have witness holes in your FSP so you can relocate it the same way each time. I only use these towards the final fitting because you may find moving it here or there a scoche to fit the panel may be an advantage.

Keep us posed on your progress, I like it!

Marty
I'll do that to the FSP. Thanks for that. It seems pretty difficult to get it lined up perfectly when there's a tackiness fighting against you.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Yes you are it looks good Henry

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:03 AM

For that tackiness issue on the FSP we use...

002.jpg

Any talcum powder would work. Plus it leaves your skin feeling good

Marty
Old 03-16-2014, 04:51 PM

Priceless!!

Greetings,

Frank