All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Resources > Resources - Learning Material
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-17-2010, 01:26 AM

David's video is by far the best between the ones I have seen. I've finally gotten around to ordering it so I can see it again whenever I want.

Kerry's 101 is also very good in content. But he should mate up with David to do it over again and take advantage of David's skills in how to make a video. But Kerry obviously have some skills in how to present a theme. And the choice of themes are good. It's seriously marred by being recorded outside with a lot of wind noise and bad lighting.

Kent white's video on using a planishing hammer could have been fine if it was 15 minutes. It is 1,5 hours or so <yawn!>.

Ted Stolarski's video on Pulmax tools is also a yawn. It has a lot of good points, but waayy too long and ill prepared. Again, if David shot it and cut it, it would have been excellent. I bought Fay Butler's book on Pullmax, and suggest getting it instead of this video.

I've seen other videos, but forgot which. Maybe I should have remembered.

I do teaching myself, and can only recognize David and Kerry as good teachers. With David's skills in making video and cutting the empty stuff I will buy his next video even if he's just the "film director".
Old 04-17-2010, 01:41 AM
Administrator

Kerry's video was done off the cuff because a lot of people had asked, wanting to be able to refer to his presentation without having to be at a 'meet somewhere to hear it.

I think Kerry has the presentation down pat enough to be able to repeat it anywhere, anytime, while suffering from laryngitis.

Kerry's is great, especially for what it is. My opinion may be biased though, as I am standing just to your left as you look at the screen. My point of view was almost the angle it was shot from, so there's a memory factor and a real "you are there" feel to it

Add some slick production work to Kerry's presentation style and it would be head and shoulders above a lot of the "pro" video efforts out there!

Tim D.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:48 AM

I bought Ron Fournier's "gas welding aluminum" Hoping to get a few tips.
I was very disapointed. He uses a Henrob torch, not a regular torch, same information that Jim gives you on his DVD when you buy his torch and cut like a plasma web site.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Thanks for the kind words guys. Ron I do still sell mine. I'll put an ad up soon. To be honest, I kind of forgot about it.

When David's first introduced his, I was an early customer and posted over on what was then MetalMeet that it was a must have. For a beginner especially, his DVD should be the the first tool bought. And yes, David's DVD is by FAR the best produced metalshaping DVD that I have ever watch.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:49 PM

I was heavily disappointed with Kent White's Autobody Steel Patch Panels DVD. I suppose it could be half my own fault for "judging a book by the cover".
On the cover is a series of pictures of a '37 Ford hood being lengthened approximately an inch and metal finished out. I thought "cool, I gotta check this out", assuming it was done with simple hand tools. Only to find that inside the DVD he lap welds a door skin on and just uses a factory spot welder to attach it in a few spots and calls it done.
Then the rest is filled with him hodge podging the lower portion of a rotten '34 Ford grill back together. Unsure if he was trying to illustrate that anything can be fixed or what was the actual purpose??? Wish I could have my time back that it took to watch it.

Next on my list is David's DVD and/or Kerry's if it's still available.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:25 PM

I've bought three DVD's recently:

1) David's 'Bodywork Restoration Tutorial'. Bought from David's own site. Jamb packed with info, some of which I knew, a lot of which I didn't. Very fairly priced at £35 (I think). No padding at all, in fact a lot of steps are shown speeded up once the principles had been explained. I think it's fair to say there's not a single wasted minute on it (and there's 150 of them), and it's the sort of thing the 'Big Names' would split over two or three well-padded DVD's. Needless to say, fantastic value, and you won't regret spending a few evenings watching and re-watching this one .

2) Ron Covell 'English Wheel Techniques. Oh my word, if you like comfort, you'll be fine here, because you'll never see so much padding in one DVD. It's 86 minute run-time could quite easily have been packed into 25 minutes, but I suppose that's just not commercial. There is some good, solid information here, but even at the apparently fair price of £25, I felt a little robbed. You would need to know absolutely nothing at all about wheels to get good value out of this. I reckon there was probably about 1/3 of the run-time was pad-free. Bought from Frosts. Poor value, you'd probably only watch once, and as the credits roll, expect to be left thinking 'was that it?'

3) Ron Covell and Ron Fournier 'Hammerforming Techniques' £35. Better than the above Covell DVD, with quite a few good ideas, well illustrated, and the two Rons go together quite well. Once again though, pad-tastic even though it's only 76 minutes of run time. The times you seem to spend watching one or other of the Rons hammering: literally it seems as though many, many minutes are passing as you are forced to watch every hammer blow. Either time-lapse it, speed it up, or just show various stages guys please. If I've shelled out my money, and spending my time watching a DVD I'd prefer to get to the point, and move on. Nevertheless, worth the money and watch time, but not by very much.

BTW, I've no connection with any of the above, and no axe to grind either. I'd still be willing to try some different Covell DVD's, but it would be a case of 'one more chance' I think. However, several evenings going through this site and U-Tube would probably leave you with the same knowledge as the 'Rons' DVD's in these cases.

I'd like to try some of John Glover's materials next: I know some people have said he's a bit dry, but I was very impressed with the couple of U-Tube videos floating about at the moment.

Last edited by Barry911; 11-28-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:51 AM

I just finished watching Ron Covell's video "Basic Techniques for Working with Steel". I rented it from smartflix.com. Good for beginners wanting to get a look at some basic metal working techniques(patching holes, hammer and dolly, forming a small panel).
Old 11-29-2010, 10:48 PM

anybody bought these guys stuff yet?
http://www.handbuilt.net.au/handtools.shtml
Old 01-23-2011, 06:46 PM

Being a complete sponge I try to soak up as much info as I can on shaping.

Ive ammassed a fair colection of DVDs on metalshaping some good some excellent but none really bad, they all offered something ( even if it was a cure for insomnia)

Davids DVD is good, well edited although im not sure I ike the dip in volume when he does his hammerwork, I would prefer if the volume remained constant, adds atmosphere ... but thats probably just me..

Ive also bought the set of Peach and Tomasini DVDs presented by Gasolene.. They are excellent easy to watch and move at a good pace. They probably benefit from a profesional production team that produced the TV show where there skills were showcased. The 6 DVDs in the set are well thought out.

Ive got around 5 Covell DVDs, not yet have I stayed awake through a complete tutorial. there good for there content, but heavy going Ron tries to inject some humour which raises the occasional smile but still a wee bit of struggle.

Ive got 3 Fournier DVDs, He knows his stuff and agian some very good info conveyed in the ones I choose to purchase, but Ron Fournier is a wee bit dry and as such slightly heavier going than Covell another one ive tried to plough through with heavy eyelids..

Ive also got the set of DVDs produced by Terry Stolarski. Its obvious that Terry took the time and effort to do these after work hours, Hats off to him for taking the time to do these DVDs which have to be the only DVDs dedicated to the Pullmax type machines. They are well worth the purchase if you have a reciprocating machine. Terry has worked out why some dies dont work despite looking correct. Terry does wander off course occasionally and sometimes the editing isnt that great, but once you remember this is two fellas doing what they dont usually do ( produce Video) they manage to carry off a decent product. If they got in sync with each other some of the close ups would be better, and Terry, if you read this, dont spare the space on the chalk board... some of the diagrams Terry draws real time are a wee bit small to make out and the camera doesnt zoom in on them leaving me, at least, a wee it fraustrated.
Surprisingly Ive managed to stay awake through all Terrys DVDs, but then im keen to find out as much as I can about the reciprocating machines..

Last edited by redoxide; 01-23-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:56 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

How would one go about getting a copy of the Terry Stolarski Pullmax video?