All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-09-2016, 12:05 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

Here are a couple shots of the infamous centerline crossover that gave me so many sleepless nights. It took some time but I've got it right. The mounting edge on the inboard side narrows as it comes forward and crosses the center line of the buck as it gets to the front. This edge is not a straight line. It curves in the vertical and longitudinal planes. Then to further complicate things. I am adding an inch of width on the inboard side so the dimensions change from addition of one inch on the inboard side to subtraction of one inch once it crosses over to the outboard side. (Reread that and think about it for a minute. Measurements are taken from the centerline of the buck.)

Name:  028.jpg
Views: 1653
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  030.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  57.6 KB

I used these guides on the upper half of the outboard side because there won't be a bent flange along the upper half, it will be welded to the body. I don't think I can do the same on the lower half. The skirt will have a bent flange along the edge. It could become trapped on the buck. I will have to notch the stations down there but having the contour template there might be trouble. I'll have to think about it some more because I would like to have some sort of guide to help me get the curved edge to fit the body. Oh well, a couple more sleepless nights won't kill me.

Name:  029.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  54.1 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 12-09-2016 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:40 AM

WOW! That's a lot of thought, a lot of work and I wish I had done this good of a job on a buck on some of my projects. Thanks for documenting this.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:48 PM

There will be a small bit of wheel opening for tire clearance down low where the skirt starts rolling inward toward the tire. It's so low that you'd have to be laying down on the ground to see it but it needs to be there.
What I'm doing here is, rather than make this area a permanent wooden part of the buck, I made it from 3/4" .060 wall round steel tube. When this skirt is finished, this tube will be part of the skirt frame. When I convert to make the right fender, I'll make the second one for that side.
The skirt frame will be mostly 3/4" angle and other small sized tube but I always use round tube where there is any chance of a tire rubbing, even momentarily. Round tube won't dig in or scrape the sidewall. If the tire is that close, something will need to be changed but at least you won't destroy a tire finding out there's a problem.

Name:  617.jpg
Views: 1726
Size:  68.7 KB

Name:  618.jpg
Views: 1521
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  619.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  71.9 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:49 PM

I had a few details to finish up today. I made the wheel opening frame for the right side so I wouldn't have to do it later. If you don't have a fancy tube bender you can get a pretty good bend on round tube with a couple pieces of 2x4 scraps. Cut and sand a radius on the ends and screw them down to your bench. It will be stronger if you are applying pressure to the end grain rather than the sides. It took less than 20 minutes to make a mirror image of the first one.

Name:  620.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  76.6 KB

Name:  621.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  76.0 KB

I also needed to finish the lower part of the front and rear stringers.

Name:  622.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  623.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  68.4 KB

Here it is. The finished product. There are two areas that will need to be figured out on the fly. The first is the front lower corner of the wheel opening on the skirt. The fender that I took my dimensions from was completely rusted out down there and rather than guess, I'll test fit the skirt frame to the car when I'm making that. The second is the bumper area. I'm going to go ahead with the intent to make a bumper from scratch. The buck is set up for that but I recently saw a picture of a 54 Merc rear bumper and it looks like it could possibly be modified to work here. (Anyone have one laying around?). Either way, this buck is done! I can finally put away the woodworking equipment and get back to what I do. It took over a half hour to blow the sawdust out of here

Name:  624.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  625.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  68.3 KB

Name:  626.jpg
Views: 1329
Size:  72.2 KB

Old 12-13-2016, 11:04 PM

very nice job on the buck.

www.mgcustomairframe.com
www.facebook.com/mgcustomairframe/
Old 12-14-2016, 10:00 AM

That buck is a piece of art! Well done. Now lets shape some metal...

I am getting so excited.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:17 PM

If you're using round tube because the tire may rub, how do you manage R&R of the wheel/tire assembly? If a portion, or the whole thing, is removable, I missed that in your thread. [understandably overwhelmed!]

mjb
Old 12-14-2016, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Great looking buck Jack. That's going to make the shaping so much easier. I regret I did not take the time to do the same type of thing.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Bourget View Post
If you're using round tube because the tire may rub, how do you manage R&R of the wheel/tire assembly? If a portion, or the whole thing, is removable, I missed that in your thread. [understandably overwhelmed!]

mjb
Marc, The round tube is temporarily mounted on the buck with a couple screws. When I start making the frame for the skirt, I will weld the round tube wheel opening to the rest of the frame. The skirt, everything front to back and from the stringer down will be removable for tire R&R.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:36 PM

Great work. Jack
Looking forward to seeing the guards take shape.
Regards Dennis.