All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-13-2020, 03:00 PM

Nah!

You just have to duck them!
Old 05-13-2020, 06:31 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post
First Tom bravo to you for not letting your sight issue stop you. As for the TM2000 and steel, I don't think it will help you as it is more of a filter than an enhancer, if that makes sense. Kent developed it to filter out the orange flare that aluminum flux makes when gas welding.

Try taking your welding setup (eyewear) to your Optometrist and see if they will make you a set of single vision glasses to work with your cheaters.

Came across this post on another forum where someone did that:
"I took my welding helmet to my optometrist with the cheater lens installed. We tried different focal distances using different sizes of printed text to represent the various weld puddle sizes. She made me a prescription for single vision glasses which I use primarily for welding but also use for reading."

Thomas, I haven't gotten prescription glasses as Chris quoted above but did learn that my focal length has become very specific and unforgiving after I passed 50.

When TIG welding with my Spedglass automatic lens helmet after a long TIG welding break, I thought my lens or battery had died. Even with extra light or cheater lens glasses, it was impossible to see the weld puddle. Almost totally dark, no matter where I set the adjustment. I was ready to buy new gear. Then I learned if I was too close or too far from the puddle, I wouldn't be able to see.

Adjusting my posture slightly was the equivalent to adding the light I needed to see. Extra light and cheater lens glasses still help, but unless my head or eyes are the right distance from the puddle they're still not enough. Before you spend much, you might experiment with different distances than you've used before.

Last edited by cliffrod; 05-13-2020 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-16-2020, 02:56 PM

Hi clifford,
i have been experimenting with different cheaters & positions from welding right on the table, to stacking up some fire bricks. That did make a slight difference, but i would still like to try some colored lenses. I just wasn't sure if they are more for tig than they are for gas welding. I'll just have to bite the bullet & give them a shot. Also waiting to hear back from phillips about their alloweld lens