All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-22-2009, 12:19 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2020

here is the body all tacked together. Of all the people I have seen do metal work I seem to always like his the best. Remember his students did this in 4 week,. About 6 of them. To be able to teach people this in that short of time I think is pretty good. Most of the students had no prier metal work experiance at all.

I didn't mean to ramble on but when I see these pictures I am still impressed.

finnished.jpg
Old 10-22-2009, 12:20 AM

my next question, is there any pointers on how I should lay my stripes out? I know the 29 is pretty basic but I'd rather do it once the right way than 5 times the wrong way.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:21 AM

I remember that and that is SMOKE'N!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRodDoc View Post
here is the body all tacked together. Of all the people I have seen do metal work I seem to always like his the best. Remember his students did this in 4 week,. About 6 of them. To be able to teach people this in that short of time I think is pretty good. Most of the students had no prier metal work experiance at all.

I didn't mean to ramble on but when I see these pictures I am still impressed.

Attachment 1633
Old 10-22-2009, 01:02 AM

hi guys,

richard is right about lazze not using flexible patterns, he said he didn`t like them.

gary
Old 10-22-2009, 02:05 AM
Administrator

I could be wrong about the flex patterns I just went from what Wray Schelin said but there was no photo maybe it was a different car.I thought it was the same one though he even reference where the contour gages were in the picture.

That tape pattern has been laid out to pick up contours to make profile gages. You can see the profile gages in the right foreground. The profile gages are in effect buck stations. You only need to space them so that they pick up the surface profile information.

The gages will help you arrange the part. The flexible shape patterns help you add the correct amount of area and in the right spot.

When you have a true surface to copy it makes the job a lot easier. The best situation is to have a true surface, a good wire form/bondo copy buck, and flexible shape patterns. If you have all of those elements making panels is a lot easier. When you have all three elements of the shape you have the complete picture. Most often that is not the case when making panels, usually you have a broken bent puzzle with missing pieces. Moving the metal is often times the easy part it. The hard part is having the information to work with.

If you are doing a one off job you just don't have the budget-both money and time- to build the information you need. So what happens is frustration.

Wray

After reading it again I think it is wray that suggested the flex pattern.I agree I think the more information you have for a panel the better.

I guess I am a little confused I have no idea how you can get those kinda of results with only a set of contour gages.I know they used the car as a buck but how do you know if it is fitting the buck perfect if you can not see the back side of the buck?

I tell you what that Willy's is one hell of a calling card.

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:32 PM

I met Lazze many years ago at the very first Gasser Reunion in Thompson Ohio, back when he was just starting his classes.
I by no means am a pro shaper but have worked on a few of dem der Willys with flexable shape patterns.
What I don't understand about Lazzes cars is,, arn't they oversize? Seems to me that unless the glass body is full of 2" or bigger holes it would be very hard to tell if its fits right, not good, there is a difference I beleive. And to check, shape, check, shape, check with profile gauges, seems to me your chasing your tail and the profile gauges would be made off the glass small carc wouldn't they.
I would really like to take his class more out of coursity I guess.
After all he started out just a guy that seen a bead roller and a e-wheel in an article about a build, could'nt read it cause it was english not sveeedish and went from there. He didn't know bout hammering. You all probably know that story.
I'm not knocking his work at all just trying to understand it. Untill then I just use flexie patterns.
Hope this didn't to far off topic.
I only do this stuff 2 weeks a year and watch the other 50
Doug
Old 10-22-2009, 08:04 PM

I have taken his 3 day class about 3 years ago. I got to see the Willys at his shop NICE CAR! The man is amazing it is all done with just a E-wheel, beadroller & shrinker and stretcher. He is also a fine teacher and has attended 2 California Metalmeets.