All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Beginner Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-04-2014, 09:15 PM

Default chevelle parts

Been lurking and posting on here, but never actually shown any of my work. I am a beginner and did all this work with just a body hammers, shot bags, and a few smaller tools. Some of these are a few yrs old.

Here are the tubs i made for the rear.

The rear trunk to taillight panel was missing, so I made one for myself and another for a fellow chevelle owner who also needed one. Here is the before middle and after.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:21 PM

I wanted to mold the tail light housing to the quarter panels after I had replace the quarter panels. Due to the housings being pot metal and the quarters steel, welding them wasnt an option. I didnt want to use a panel body epoxy cause I was afraid that it would crack out sooner or later. So I started to build them out of metal.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:27 PM

You can see in the last pic that I started to build a roll pan for the car. I have the rear bumper, but wanted to do something different. I wanted to build this rear and them modify the rear to make a smaller bumper similar to the 67-69 camaro. I wish I had built a buck for this, but knowing little about metal shaping at this time. I did it piece by piece on the car.

Due to life and work. The car is sitting in storage and not actually finished. I wish it could be. It is further along than this, but I didnt get pics of it.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Cody what did you use to make the rear bumper filler panel ?
Old 09-05-2014, 02:54 PM

Dan, I sheared off a strip and then ran it through my bead roller with a spoiler die on it. I then cut the strip in the middle at an angle that matched the tail light panel. I did this all the way across. Under the tail light housing. I tried to use my shrinker to get the right curve, but It would change the radius of the spoiler die. Not being a member on here at the time and not knowing anyone to ask for help personally, I couldnt figure out a way to work it. So I did what everyone loves, and just cut a bunch of slits in the metal and worked it to match the tail light housing. Before welding, I then ran it back through the bead roller to make sure the radius didnt change then welded it up.

I hope that Im explaining the right section for you.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:39 PM

looks good!
Old 11-21-2014, 11:41 AM

These seem to be well done and correct solutions to the common problems of mid year cars.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidpaint View Post
Dan, I sheared off a strip and then ran it through my bead roller with a spoiler die on it. I then cut the strip in the middle at an angle that matched the tail light panel. I did this all the way across. Under the tail light housing. I tried to use my shrinker to get the right curve, but It would change the radius of the spoiler die. Not being a member on here at the time and not knowing anyone to ask for help personally, I couldnt figure out a way to work it. So I did what everyone loves, and just cut a bunch of slits in the metal and worked it to match the tail light housing. Before welding, I then ran it back through the bead roller to make sure the radius didnt change then welded it up.

I hope that Im explaining the right section for you.
was referring to the 2 panels on the panel cart with the 4 holes and multi steps
Old 11-26-2014, 10:33 PM

Ah okay sorry about that. It was cut out on a water jet. Then i used 45 degree offset dies on my bead roller. I had to add washers behind the lower die to make the step a bit wider. Mine was so rotten it was mostly missing. I contacted a guy that said he had a replacement one. I went and looked at it and realized it was handmade and said I can do this. His looked like the step was hammered in like on a plannishing hammer or yoder or similar from the markings is left behind.