All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Resources
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-01-2015, 11:00 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Fact check:
1. Tim was in the process of shipping books when he died.
2. Tim lived with his wife who shortly after his demise herself required care and is now permanently in a care facility.
3. Tim lived with no other family members. His wife had a daughter (not his) who did not live with them and had nothing to do with Tim's activities.

So who should be mailing out books, and wrapping up Tim's affairs? The probate issues here are complex enough that it would generate a hefty legal bill to find the answer. The only one responsible for settling the estate is no longer physically able to. She didn't choose to become physically infirm.

Like most of us will, Tim didn't expect to die the day he did and went along under the presumption that he would complete the project. Did he plan for all eventualities? No, but neither do many people, or for that matter do small businesses. Dying intestate, or without an estate plan, is common, so common it applies to many members of this forum. Life, and death, happen. "Memento mori."
Old 05-02-2015, 11:45 AM

Bill (above) is right on his facts.

Via a conversation with someone last year, an inquiry as to acquisition of the remaining inventory of books plus #5 and potentially the rest of the research material itself was supposedly made.

Big question became: does person acquiring have to honor all the prior purchases? (ie: "legal") Last thing someone wants to do is physically acquire inventory and have people taking aim at him "for cheating them as well" even though they did not receive payment for the published items to begin with.

Secondary question was: how to determine who had ordered?; who had product shipped already?; who is still awaiting shipment?; and who had paid for future installations yet to be published and potentially refund? And where are the actual funds to pay for it all or how is a deal put together with the estate to honor? And who will actually do it?

To be 100% honest -- it is a big ugly mess to have to clean up.

Hopefully one day someone can reach a deal with the estate and book #5 will be available for purchase. (and have thick enough skin to deal with all the haters who had previous prepaid orders) I'll gladly buy it even though I paid for it already. (and I'll order copies for friends as well)

As for future publishing of the final books -- I very much doubt Tim was making a lot of revenue from it so it would have to be someone with as much passion and time to make happen as he did.

Great books #1 through #4. They will be in my library for a very long time for myself, friends and others to peruse and learn from. I just wish he had gotten the last ones published before his passing...
Old 05-03-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Bill (above) is right on his facts.

Via a conversation with someone last year, an inquiry as to acquisition of the remaining inventory of books plus #5 and potentially the rest of the research material itself was supposedly made.

Big question became: does person acquiring have to honor all the prior purchases?
No, if I understand you correctly. As an individual, Tim's debts have been legally cancelled by his death. In the states I'm familiar with, his wife becomes responsible, but not his heirs. And from what I read here, even if one was hardhearted enough to sue his wife, there'd be scant chance of getting a judgement, let alone collecting. Had he been incorporated, it would be different, but he wasn't, so far as I know.

If someone acquires the books and rights to them from the estate, they're not obligated to assume the associated debt, unless the estate insists. The estate is under no obligation to do so, and they'd be foolish to insist, since it would reduce the value of the asset.

Quote:
Secondary question was: how to determine who had ordered?; who had product shipped already?; who is still awaiting shipment?; and who had paid for future installations yet to be published and potentially refund? And where are the actual funds to pay for it all...
All moot questions now.

Quote:
...how is a deal put together .... And who will actually do it?
The $64 question. I'm not up for it, but I would certainly be interested in buying the books, even though I've already paid once, like you.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:54 PM

Autobooks Etc in Burbank is now selling all 7 volumes for about $70 each, 10% discount if you buy a full set. No mention of whats going on if you already paid in the past.

link:
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p..._comment_reply

Those who possess real knowledge are rare.

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:51 PM

Default Autobooks

Autobooks used to buy books from Tim Barton directly, and contacted Lane recently regarding purchasing a number of volumes. So I just wanted to confirm that these books are legit.

The books are also available from Tinmantech.com (Kent White), as well as on Amazon and Ebay from Lane. All international orders must go through Ebay.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.