All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2017, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default Metalshaper needed for America's first warbird

I was contacted by the a guy named Dorian Walker about some metalshaping needed on a really unique airplane. America's FIRST fighter airplane (Warbird) was the DH 4. There is not a flyable plane in the country and a dedicated group of volunteers is trying to get the only DH4 in the US flying next near.

They had a shaper signed up but he had to drop out for personal reasons. Their time is short. The need the panels by the end of February 2018. There are three panels, two upper engine covers and the radiator cover. They have drawings and the remains of the original panels. Aluminum .063 3003 H14 is acceptable as these panels are not in anyway structural.

The group has some money but not much as this is a private volunteer effort based in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

I would really like to do this but my travel schedule just won't allow that to happen.

Attached are some photos:

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

THe photos of a real plane is one in New Zealand. It looks to me that the radiator cowl is wrong because it looks to be just bent 90 and not shaped over. I didn't get into that with Darrin.

That's about all I know. If you are interested in talking to these folks, send me a PM and I'll give you his contact info. I don't want to put that info out there since this thread is in an area that anyone can see.

I hope someone can help them out. This would be a really neat project to be involved in.