All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-22-2010, 12:37 PM

Default welding equipment

I've been looking into buying some welding equipment. I found this VICTOR Super Range II Oxy/Acetylene Torch set on craigs list. What do you think?
http://austin.craigslist.org/tls/1652963172.html
Old 03-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Spectator

There are some better deals right now on CL but unfortunately they are not in your area or even near.

Some with tanks for that and less.

Not saying that's not o good deal.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:35 PM

what else would I need besides 2 tanks to start welding some 18g mild steel.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebarg View Post
what else would I need besides 2 tanks to start welding some 18g mild steel.
Mike,

There are more options but primarily there are three basic ways to weld 18g mild steel. These aren't ranked in any particular order since it's up to you in what you would want to try out 1st.

1. Mig or GMAW: This may be the easiest to learn. It can leave a hard weld bead that may require more grinding.

2. TIG or GTAW: Is a little harder to learn for the beginner since the user is multi-tasking with the torch, foot/hand control and a filler metal. Leave's a very nice final appearance.

3. Oxy/Acetylene: The set up your looking at. Makes a softer weld bead than the others. Can have a larger heat affected area than the rest.

Try the local library and read up on it and then decide what works best for you. Several years from now, you may have all three.

Hope that helped,

Travis B.

Last edited by Travis B.; 03-22-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:20 PM

Looks like the only other things you would need are welding glasses/goggles number 5 or 6, and some welding rod. 1/16" or smaller ER70S-2 should do you well, that's what I use for TIG welding, but might be different for torch welding, I'm not an expert. I also want to say you MIGHT need a #1 tip, I think that's what I used, but just can't remember but I'm sure some of the more experienced members can give you better details.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:15 AM

As has been mentioned, in addition to the tanks you need a regulators and torch set, welding lenses, filler material (or cutoffs from stock), and the correct welding tips.

The torch set that you posted from Craigslist will get you started. The only issue I would have with it is the weight. On the box it says it is a heavy duty outfit, so it may weigh a bit and may be cumbersome to use for long periods of time.

I use a Harris torch that is a medium duty torch, and it isn't too bad to weld with. The ideal torches are aircraft torchs/Meco Midget/Henrob.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:22 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

The only thing I would ask is what is it you are intending to weld? are you wanting to make body panels? M/C petrol tanks? in either case you will probably be working in 19g but whatever the welding kit should be fine.

The beauty of gas is you can use it for welding steel ally brass, you can solder silver solder and braze with it. You can heat stuff up and cut with it lead load and more.

All things are possible.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:01 PM

I would hold out for one with tanks. I have seen a few in Dallas in the $200.00 range recently

Quote:
Originally Posted by derant View Post
As has been mentioned, in addition to the tanks you need a regulators and torch set, welding lenses, filler material (or cutoffs from stock), and the correct welding tips.

The torch set that you posted from Craigslist will get you started. The only issue I would have with it is the weight. On the box it says it is a heavy duty outfit, so it may weigh a bit and may be cumbersome to use for long periods of time.

I use a Harris torch that is a medium duty torch, and it isn't too bad to weld with. The ideal torches are aircraft torchs/Meco Midget/Henrob.
What size tip do you weld 19/20 gage with on your Harris? Thats what I have and after watching David's video I want to try my hand at it. I am thinking a #1
Thanks

If I only had the time , talent, and $$ to build everything in my head

Last edited by gearheads78; 03-23-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:18 PM

Default Harris Tips

For sheetmetal, I use a #1 for 18g and #3 for 16g. These are the Model 23A90 tips.
I will be trying some aluminum soon, .065 3003, and for that I will use a #5 tip.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:15 AM

Very good info. I'll keep an eye out for a setup with tanks. I am going to be making several parts for a bike I'm building, including a gas tank. And, in the future, I do want to learn aluminum welding also.