All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-01-2019, 12:34 AM

Default Awesome job!

Don't worry about "great 8 or Riddler" I bet Chip has seen this and is impressed. Really nice work. Fred26T
Old 07-01-2019, 08:18 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

I had to bend the roof frame a little more. Best way I could figure out was to put the front tire of the truck on the right rear of the main hoop, an adjustable stand under the right front corner, and me pushing down on the left front corner. I needed about 1/2" down. I got it this time, so I can start putting on the second roof skin.

Name:  1643.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  45.2 KB

I used a piece of 6 1/2" OD shipping tube to put in the bends along the sides. The tube is bonded cardboard about 3/8" wall thickness and it's pretty rigid. I don't think it would get the job done on steel, but it was enough for aluminum.
Hey, do what you can with what you've got.

Name:  1644.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  78.1 KB

Name:  1645.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  71.8 KB

Once I finished the bends, I countersunk the holes along the front and rear edges of the skin. No rivets along the sides, there's material there for a folded hem, like a door skin. Panel bond all around and mount the skin.

Name:  1646.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  47.0 KB

Name:  1647.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  45.3 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:46 PM

I love the down to earth approach you use to build an out of this world car.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:54 AM

In his little shop (very clean little shop), on his budget with the tools he is using and done almost all of it on his own there is nobody out there at any level that would say they would do any better. They would all hire him! He'll drive this car. The 2 million dollar show cars are not likely to see any miles after they've run once or twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumtu View Post
Very nice but it cant compete for Great 8 or Riddler the build has been posted on the internet. All great 8 - Riddler contenders are to be built with out any pre or during construction / finished photos published any where till the first showing at Detroit . But this is a top notch build thanks for posting.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:30 AM

I was not nocking Jacks work, his quality & skill level is way above mine I will just go back to lurking.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I was not nocking Jacks work, his quality & skill level is way above mine I will just go back to lurking.
No offense taken. Feel free to speak up. Questions and comments are what we're here for.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack 1957 View Post
... Panel bond all around and mount the skin.

Jack, can you talk a bit about how you use the panel bond? I've used it a couple times and had failures. I roughed up the surface, cleaned with wax and grease remover, and clamped. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. Perhaps I clamped it too tight??
Old 07-02-2019, 01:16 PM

Kerry, It sounds like your prep is OK. I either rough up with 24 grit on a grinder for steel or 80 grit by hand on aluminum. Try to get the panels so they lay down in place without pulling them in too much with clamps. You might be squeezing out the adhesive if you're clamping too tightly. I think SEM makes a panel bond adhesive that has tiny grit like sand mixed into the adhesive that prevents bare spots from forming between the panels.
I used to use the 3M stuff very often when I was working and never had a failure. I would tack weld the stress areas at the corners and use a couple sheet metal screws along with spring clamps to hold panels in place until the adhesive cured. I didn't use vice grip style clamps very often, too much pressure.
There's a very big advantage to using adhesives for panel replacement (100% corrosion protection) anywhere there might be a potential water trap. Like dooor skins. They put a sheet with directions in with every tube. Follow them to the letter. Do some test pieces. It's important to weld in the stress areas.
I have hung bedsides on full size pick up trucks numerous times over the years without a problem. I would put about a1/2" weld bead at the corners and inside where the tail gate latches and glue everywhere else. Truck beds take a BEATING! Even when they're not loaded.
So, in short I think you should look at maintaining an even coating of adhesive in the bond area and welds at the stress points.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Thanks Jack. I think I'm just clamping too hard.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:41 PM

I believe sumtu meant it was ineligible for the Riddler not that it wasn't worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
In his little shop (very clean little shop), on his budget with the tools he is using and done almost all of it on his own there is nobody out there at any level that would say they would do any better. They would all hire him! He'll drive this car. The 2 million dollar show cars are not likely to see any miles after they've run once or twice.
Very nice but it cant compete for Great 8 or Riddler the build has been posted on the internet. All great 8 - Riddler contenders are to be built with out any pre or during construction / finished photos published any where till the first showing at Detroit . But this is a top notch build thanks for posting.