All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-22-2019, 06:47 PM

And should be noted if you are polishing SS make sure your gear hasn't been used on mild steel before or you may have surface rust appear down the track.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:01 AM

Old thread, but I wanted to add that Walter Surface Technologies has also been in the electric weld cleaner game for a while, too. Their unit is called the Surfox.

I have a refurb box that I've been happy with, and before I bought mine I'd borrowed a friend's which had to have been at least 10 years old but still kicking. Like all the other electric weld cleaners, you're entering a world of proprietary consumables--here in Kansas City the LWS has the pads and fluids for the Walter Surfox.

I'd be curious to see how the Chinese units you see popping up now when you google "weld cleaning machine" perform. Probably fine.

One thing I will say about the technology in general is that the effectiveness of the electric cleaning depends on the quality, or rather, the prettiness of your welding. On beads where you managed to use "just enough" heat and the discoloration is pinks and golds, it comes off like magic. If, like me, your heat gets away from you sometimes and you get more into the dull grey side of things, you'll find that the areas that are more cooked will have black staining in the crevices that can only be removed mechanically.

http://www.willvannerson.com