All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-04-2019, 06:36 PM

Start a gofundme and I'll donate $30. Probably never make it one of these as Seattle is a long way. Appreciate those who put these event on.

Greg
Old 09-07-2019, 06:33 AM

That is really disappointing to hear, I contributed every day, and sure didn't expect to hear that!! I have tentative approval from my new job to attend next year and will definitely contribute even more...if it is held.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:17 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

It was nice to see you there 'Rookie'. I hope we can have the RR again, and hope to see you there!
Old 09-07-2019, 09:29 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

I've hosted a couple of meets here in my shop and each time I did that it cost me about 5 days of lost business. I was ok with that because I considered it as vacation time away from the business. I was also willing to cover the cost of a few meals. I figured that it was cheaper to do this than to pay the cost of travel to someone else's meet. If you want to break even, I think that the best answer is to do as John Forbes does with his Santa Cruz meet. $100. limited to the first 50 pre-paid attendees. And some day, time permitting I'd like to attend John's meet.

Don't believe everything you think.

Last edited by bobadame; 09-07-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:57 AM
Administrator

I have pretty much resolved the short kitty issue with educating those first timers . There are mooches and there are those that simply don’t know what was expected . For those of us spreading the word to come attend should also be explaining what to expect and moreover what is expected of them

While writing this I just thought that as those sign up should get an Email explaining and upon reading and accepting this they are ok to come. Also us hosts have the impossible task of guessing attendance. A deposit would cure most of these problems
Old 09-07-2019, 12:43 PM

Even at $100 per person it would be dirt cheap.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:12 PM

People can be pretty clueless about what is involved in hosting an event. Heck, even a large backyard family picnic can get expensive with food and adult beverages without thinking about the cost of time.

When it's a business putting on the event and you're adding in lost time for not only the event, but the setup and cleanup as well the costs rise exponentially and a small business doesn't have the corporate budgets to pull from for such things.

If there isn't an upfront "price" to "cover costs," there often needs to be a point in the program where someone reminds people of the generosity of the host in putting the time and money towards making the event possible. You'll still likely have some mooches and clueless people who don't pony up, but it will remind the honest ones to dig a little deeper in their pockets.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
It was nice to see you there 'Rookie'. I hope we can have the RR again, and hope to see you there!
Thank you, Will..I had a great time and if Jim is willing to have another go at it, I will definitely be there, my Dad was making noises about wanting to go next year too. I really appreciate you guys having me, particularly on such short notice!
Will be watching for 2020 RR Event posting!
Old 09-07-2019, 07:46 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Hi,

Has the issue be resolved with Jim, or do we need to send more money? Great that we talk about it, but we need to be sure we fix it as well.

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:51 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

There are no 'issues' We all know we take a chance at hosting these events. Most have been pretty close for me, and we do not do it intending to make money. It's just that this was unfortunate to have occurred at such a great location to such a talented host. Jim asked if he could continue the Redneck Roundup and I appreciated that. I gave him a rundown about what to expect, but it did not turn out that way, and I just felt bad about it. We understand that our 'traveling group' were respectful and are not too worried about it. I should have stood up and gave the 'sermon' myself, but was concerned that it might look self-serving because of my past involvement with the RR. I accept some responsibility for this, and I will do a better job if and when Jim considers hosting this event in the future.