All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
Register All Albums Event Calendar Today's Posts Search
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-06-2012, 05:18 AM

Question Power hammer spring

hi everyone i am in the process of building a double headed pettingell style power and need to find some springs for the project does anyone know a source for new ones. Thanks Chuck
Old 09-06-2012, 05:27 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2012

Any decent springworks should be able to make up to your spec?

I regularly have leaf springs made up with stock, length, eye size & orientation, and arc all specified.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:12 PM

Default power hammer spring

Contact Steve Powell, He Builds a Replica of The Pettingell Hammer and Fabs His Own Springs. 989-413-3059. He is Located in Michigan
Old 09-06-2012, 05:28 PM

Default Thanks Herb

Great i didnt know what to do. Chuck
Old 09-07-2012, 06:52 AM

There are two companies I know of that supply powerhammer springs. Triangle Auto Spring in Pennsylvania. Their springs are not tapered and sized for a Yoder K90 or similar machines with a high reciprocating mass. They are cheap and can be softened by removing a leaf or grinding some taper into the leaves. Triangle part number 1270A95. I have not bought any in years but they should still have the prints and they build to order anyway.

The other is Detroit Eaton Spring. He does exact replacement springs for a 2M Pettingell. They have full forge tapered leaves, done on their flat belt powered 1910 spring leaf tapering machine. These springs are for a lighter mass but are much more expensive than the Triangle pieces. Not sure that Mike Eaton is still involved in day to day operations anymore but the current crew would know where to find him to locate the prints for these obscure parts.

For reference "tuning" the spring is important to the hammmer's function. It's rate needs to be matched up with the dynamic mass it needs to support. In a Pettingell it is 50% of the bobbins / links, the belting, upper die holder and upper die, wedge / shims. The belting tension plays a key roll in setting the rate as well. Don't freak that you have to get it sweet right to the pound, it is not that fussy but you need to be aware it needs design attention. Too light and the die will shake / chatter too tight and the die will "club" the panel.
Rick