All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2018, 06:59 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2018, August 2021,November 2023

I appreciate hearing that you guys are interested in the project! It certainly takes some time to document and update these threads but I enjoy sharing it (it also helps keep me even more motivated) and I like to hopefully give back just a fraction of what I receive while reading and learning from other's info and posts on here.

Not much physically done the last couple days, but certainly have some better ideas to start moving forward....hopefully!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 3294
Size:  74.5 KB

As was mentioned by Mark, cardboard templates and temporary mock ups are a necessity at this point to help get a visual idea of what's going on and to fill in the blanks a bit.

Here I did a quick mockup of the sail panel. I moved it around to add or remove thickness from the sail panel width. In the end I actually preferred it just slightly wider than I had in my concept (roughly 10.5" rather than 9.75") though that can and may change still. I think this picture was with it at the 9.75" width?

I don't remember if I mentioned previously that the roof rails above the doors are not really correct. In order to get the rear of the roof lower I basically just tilted the whole roof down (with the pivot point the top corner by the windshield) This is giving just a straight "wedge" to the roof line vs. the door top. Eventually it'll be re-made with a very slight curve to help it flow a bit better....it's not much (maybe .5" higher up at the rear of the door) but it'll help the look visually. (Hard to describe, but eventually it'll make sense)

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2415
Size:  65.7 KB

After I removed the B-post and was doing the sail panel mock up and thinking about the side glass, it really bugged me that the beltline and the roof have such a nice flowing curve and that would be interrupted if flat side glass was put back in eventually.

The removal of the B-post would really compound the look of the flat door glass and flat quarter glass meeting up (previously the post interrupted the "flow" and disguised it)

Sorry for the poor picture, unfortunately I have to take some of these pictures looking out the south facing door when the sun is out.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 2199
Size:  75.8 KB

Another view from the front showing the nice beltline curve and the straight sections where the side glass previously mounted.

What I've been thinking and pondering about the last day or so is incorporating curved side glass that will compliment the curvature of the body.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 2048
Size:  76.2 KB

In this picture I drew red lines to help show where the flat side glass would have been and the "kink" it would create where the post was (it will no longer be there as we are turning it into a hardtop......it'll be door glass butting up to quarter glass)

The green lines help show the curve of the body side, beltline and roof rail.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1999
Size:  78.3 KB

I used my profile gauge to get the correct profile off the beltline.......

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 2025
Size:  76.3 KB

.....and have been on the hunt for the perfect curved windshield to eventually cut the side glass out of. (This glass isn't correct, just used the picture as an example)

Today I located a glass that seems to fit the profile gauge perfectly, so I've ordered a glass that should arrive tomorrow. Once I have the actual glass I can really do some more brainstorming and thinking about rebuilding the roof rails, etc.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1998
Size:  57.5 KB

While doing all this thinking and pondering, I at least wanted to make some forward progress.....what's the only way to eat an elephant?!!

The dash needs to be filled of all it's misc. holes so I figured I shouldn't put that off. This will be much nicer to do before the firewall and floor are in!!

I forgot to take a before picture this morning, so I just cropped a previous picture that had the dash in it for reference.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 2038
Size:  76.0 KB

Here I've already started filling what I assume was an opening for an optional clock? The radio face cutout, and all the little slots around the inset area that the stainless trim attached to. Currently \ the stamped recess for the radio knobs cut out with a patch taped into position ready to be tacked.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 2006
Size:  74.3 KB

All the misc. holes in the recessed portion of the dash have been filled. I'll continue shaving and filling the rest of the dash (excluding the gauge hole and the column hole)

Dane

Last edited by pplace; 04-19-2018 at 07:06 PM.