Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-14-2018, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

That is a LOT of spot welds!
Old 04-15-2018, 10:32 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2018, August 2021,November 2023

Well I'm very glad I took advantage of the beautiful weather the other day for some sandblasting outside. I normally don't put much faith or worry about weather reports, but this time they did get it right! April 14th-15th and we've easily got over 12" of new snow and I've seen friends with 18" or so around the area with drifts several feet deep and it's still coming down heavy! I guess I can maybe ride my snowmobile to work for a couple days in April!ha

No work done on the Rambler, I'll get back at it tomorrow.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1991
Size:  75.7 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2006
Size:  63.0 KB

Dane
Old 04-15-2018, 11:52 AM

Well i am not jealous on that, we have soon spring here
Old 04-16-2018, 06:50 PM

Today I decided to take a detour from my initial plan. Initially I had planned or thought I'd like to get the new floor and inner structure figured out before I went ahead and dealt with any modifications to the roof and rear glass.

However, while continuing to clean up the remaining inner structure late last week I thought it foolish to fabricate the new inner structure when then time arrives while still needing to work around the remaining structure left of the rear window, package tray and roof rails.

I decided to just bite the bullet and get the rear window and modifications to the roof roughly figured out so I can eventually fabricate and tie all the structure and changes in together at the same time, resulting in a better thought out plan and finished results (hopefully) The reason I initially didn't want to do this was to take away even more structure / rigidity of the body.

When I came up with this concept and changing the proportions of the roof and moving the back glass forward, I was 99% certain that I'd run into a problem with being able to use the stock glass. When moving the window forward, the car gets wider, so the rear window visually looks too narrow (I had this decision to make on the '49 Mercury project as well)

I'll have to do some real thinking to either find another glass that has the desired shape / size that I'd need to fit the modified opening or there is certainly the option of having a custom curved glass made. Personally I've never done it on a project, but it's done all the time. Luckily my customer is heavily involved in the glass industry, so he will be doing some research for our possible options as well. Right now, we are still in the planning stages before we commit to anything. Though him and I agree that the overall shape / flow of the rear roof & window shouldn't be compromised or changed just to fit the stock sized glass with less than desirable end results visually.

Views: 3015
Size:  75.5 KB

Trunk opening was braced widthwise so the rear window opening, package tray and roof rails could be removed.

Views: 2136
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1807
Size:  74.9 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1779
Size:  74.6 KB

Set the back glass opening roughly where / how it would eventually be.

Dane
Old 04-17-2018, 07:12 PM

Another day of prep work and planning. I needed to add bracing to the roof so I could remove the upper portions of the B-posts. The bracing is able to "slide" along a pair of guides so the roof stays exactly positioned side to side, yet I can adjust how much I want to lower the rear of the roof to gain on the proper roof profile.

Views: 1681
Size:  69.6 KB

I did a line drawing overlay from the stock and concept drawings so I could visualize the changes / needed for the roof, rear window and side windows. Obviously the stock outline is in green and the red outline is what our concept represents.

Views: 1663
Size:  76.0 KB

With the center portion of the roof braced up, I was able to cut the B-posts free.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1745
Size:  76.5 KB

Again with the roof braced, the B-posts were cut free. The internal bracing allows the roof to slide up and down so I can dial in exactly where I want the roof to end up eventually.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1741
Size:  75.8 KB

I did a rough trim on the rear of the roof in order to set the rear window into place again.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1676
Size:  76.3 KB

Here's a quick mock up with the rear window moved forward and slightly laid down into it's proposed location. Much more figuring and planning is obviously necessary....but it's nice to see things are basically shaping up how I have them in the concept drawing.

Again, as I mentioned last night, the rear window will certainly need to be widened to fit properly (about 3" or so??)

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  77.2 KB

A picture from the side. Without a doubt I need to rework the upper roof rails to obtain the proper shape profile that I desire. Also gradually sloping the rear of the roof skin into the window opening will be vital as well.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1736
Size:  76.7 KB

A view from the other side a bit further away.

It's tough to get a good "visual" without the extended sail panel and re-contoured roof rail, but I'm happy with these quick and dirty mock ups. It helps me visualize and improve my plan of attack.

Dane
Old 04-17-2018, 10:26 PM

Already much better ty for sharing
Old 04-18-2018, 02:58 PM

Eyeball engineer and measure many many times and lots of cardboard templates! Good progress so far as well as thinking out loud what you are doing.

Reminds me a bit of a Facel Vega roofline and that is definitely more upscale than its original origins...
Old 04-18-2018, 07:49 PM

Thanks. Hopefully these early posts aren’t too boring or annoying. I contemplated posting some of them, but them I figured as you mentioned, the planning and different “thought processes” that each individual takes during a project may be interesting to some. 10 people can do the same task and approach it 10 different ways.

Currently I have that rough “vision” in my head, but am now trying to fill in some of the blanks of what’s possible and what’s needed in order to accomplish the end goal. Trying to plan and think 20 steps ahead so I don’t build myself into a “corner” or problem later (though, as much as you plan you can never think of everything!)

Nothing much achieved today, just more planning and thinking about the sail panel, roof rail structure, vent glass and side glass options, etc.

Dane

Last edited by pplace; 04-18-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:00 PM

Please Keep the posts coming, yours and Jacks are two of my favorite threads that are active.

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 04-19-2018, 06:26 PM

I echo Steve, yours and Jacks are what I read at Smoko time every day.

Stop moving so fast, you're creating a breeze.