All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-08-2017, 09:05 AM

Default I'm ordering an Oxy Acetylene Outfit

I'm going to order an oxy acetylene kit in the next week or two for welding sheet metal, both aluminum and steel. How does this look and what am I missing?

Victor J-28 Torch handle
0-W-J Welding Nozzle
1-W-J Welding Nozzle
2-W-J Welding Nozzle
3-W-J Welding Nozzle
Smith Flash Back Arrestor - Regulator Mount
Smith 2 Stage Oxygen Regulator
Smith 2 Stage Acetylene Regulator
Welding face shield

I also need a set of hoses. I was thinking of hooking together a light weight hose set and a standard house set for added length. What would you recommend?

What am I missing?
Old 01-08-2017, 09:09 AM

You might want to look at what Kent has for sale.
Tinmantech.com ( I think)

www.mgcustomairframe.com
www.facebook.com/mgcustomairframe/
Old 01-08-2017, 10:20 AM

You will find a "gas saver" to be quite useful. In proper welding it is about the torch setting. You set the torch and the gas saver turns both gasses off at the same time. You don't have to reset just relight with the gas saver.
A stand will keep the gas saver next to the work saving time and aggravation

I have a picture of my gas saver set up in my album.
I use Kent's hose it is great.
Mike
Old 01-08-2017, 12:11 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Gas savers are great. The electric/battery ground piezo strikers will save even more gas vs running a flame on your gas saver, that is also sometimes good for a quick burn if you're not paying attention.

I would also add my vote for Kent's small Meco torch and lightweight hoses. I haven't bought one yet, but have been told by two of the more esteemed legit experts here that is it the best torch they have ever used for sheet metal work. These items are on my must-have list.

I do have one of Kent's TM2000 aluminum gas welding lenses, 15+ yrs and still love it. It is the best. If you're going to gas weld aluminum, it is a necessity imho.

If you are not going to weld enough to warrant leasing large tanks, you might consider buying 40cf tanks or whatever is the largest tanks you can simply exchange in your area without inspection. Around here, anything larger than 40cf must be sent off for inspection before refill. Any tank that fails inspection is discarded with no reimbursement. Smaller tote along tanks aren't big enough. Having 3-4 40cf tanks lets me work for a while, usually can spend a full day welding if needed.

Having a basic torch kit with everything to cut & weld is a good starting point, really a must have for any shop. These other items will supplement that. I have an airco/concoa torch I love. I have a cheaper victor set that I don't, but that whole set came with a rosebud and was still less than the rosebud tip alone for my favorite torch. Buy a good torch, not just a cheap one. You'll enjoy using it much more and your welding will benefit. If you can weld well with a bad torch, a better torch is like magic....
Old 01-08-2017, 02:07 PM

I really like the idea of the stand with the gas saver and piezo ignitor. I think I'll order gas saver, piezo ignitor, and hose set from Kent. I think I'm going to hold off on the aluminum welding supplies, but maybe I should just go ahead and spend the money.

With the gas saver, should I have a set of arrestors at the regulator and at the output of the gas saver?

Last edited by zekeymonkey; 01-08-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:06 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Ask Kent what you need. He won't steer you wrong. I only have one set of arrestors on my hoses, maybe not what is recommended but that's what I have. I don't have one of the piezio ground igniters yet. RockHilWill has them at his shop and they're great. With smaller tanks, everything you can do to conserve gas is a big plus.

My old Conocoa torch welds AL great, as well as steel. Using Kent's lens and flux helps you see AL bead much better. The MeCo is a step up that I'll afford at some point. If you have a good torch, it'll do a lot especially if you practice, practice, practice.... Nice thing about gas welding equipment is that it's easy to add to a basic rig so doesn't have to cost huge money to get started.

With a comfortable torch and well planned workspace, Gas welding is a happy place.

Don't forget the fire extinguisher.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I'm really impressed with the Meco Midget that Kent sells. I have a Henrob and it works fine and will do lots of things that a torch alone won't do such as cut. But, when I've tried the Meco, my welds were much better. With my eyes, I don't think I will ever master gas welding aluminum but certainly acknowledge that, if I could, my roadster welds would be better with less distortion.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:26 PM

The lot of you are making me reconsider the Meco. I've used a small victor in a workshop and really liked it and thought it was very comfortable. I was considering the Meco, but I was worried it may be too small. I'll sleep on it and make a decision in a few days.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I've never used a small torch other than the Meco and Henrob. And I'm certainly no expert. HOWEVER, I'm under the impression that the Meco can do anything the small Smiths etc can do and the parts are readily available. I believe Kent also manufactures and sells tips for older small torches.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:32 PM

Meco +1