All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-27-2013, 02:37 PM

Default Digital Eyewear - Improved Vision Technology

I'm in my late 60s and have seen my vision deteriorate over the past 20 years. Got to the bifocal and then trifocal stage a few years ago. The last time I got new glasses was two years ago. I went to a very good optician that I had done some cabinet and display work for. After discussing the sort of work I did, mechanical and welding and computer, he suggested I consider digital lenses.

With free-form lenses (also called digital high-definition lenses), the fabrication of the lenses from wearer's eyeglass prescription is optimized with computer-controlled surfacing equipment that is much more precise than conventional tools. In fact, free-form technology can surface lenses in power increments of 0.01 diopter (D), compared with 0.125 to 0.25 D increments of conventional eyeglass lens tooling.

The fabrication of some digital, free-form lenses also takes into account how the lenses are positioned in front of the wearer's eyes when in the eyeglass frame, to provide the most accurate lens power and the sharpest vision possible.

After two years of use I rate digital lenses as a must have for most everyone. My ability to see and see through a welding helmet are vastly improved. I can see clearly at ANY distance and ANY angle. It is unbelievable, the difference.

Another tip he gave was caring and cleaning. He suggested ALWAYS cleaning with only lens cleaning wipes. I have followed that tip and after two years including shop use, have NO scracthes or fogging. I use Zeizz Lens Cleaning Wipes, they are $2.97 for a box of 50 at Wal Mart. They are in individual packets about the size of a half dollar. For us older men they fit in your wallet where the condom used to go.

The lenses are about $200 more than standard ones. Figuring the upgraded lenses and wipes for 2 year, 2 per day; it cost me about 40 cents per day for near perfect vision again.

More info: http://www.allaboutvision.com/lenses...ont-lenses.htm
Old 11-27-2013, 07:00 PM

Richard,

Many thanks for the information. Much appreciated and although it might be considered "off topic", without adequate vision none of us would be metal shaping.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:00 AM

"Off topic"?

I can't even read without glasses!

Remember that the best of men, are only men at best.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:52 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Adding to: "vision magnification":

The eyes' need for light doubles after the age of 40 and doubles again at 50, and doubles again ... etc. So, adding a weld-darkening filter in front of your eyes - after the age of 40 - the need for vision magnification goes up. Over-magnification might be a necessary consideration when welding. I use 1.5D cheaters in my headgear and I wear 1.5D readers down my nose underneath the goggle, so that if I need more clarity I can tilt my vision down through the added magnification provided by the readers. Sort of like using close-up lenses on the camera - stacking the +1, +2, and +3 lenses in different combinations for the view required - you can vary your own welding magnification when needed, as your available light varies.

(This is very "on-topic" if you find that you are using your eyes when doing metal work.)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:31 PM

Thanks for the vison tip Richard!
The down side is I have no excuse now
Old 11-29-2013, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Definitely on topic.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:46 PM

I will look into this. Thank you. Its rare that I have $200.00 to spend on a new tool but will find it if my Dr. says these will work for me.
I'm excited about this as my welding suffers as my vision gets worse and worse.