All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-09-2012, 05:02 PM

Default Back cab panel

I need to make a panel it is 48 inches wide 21 inches high it has 4 recessed panels that are 14 1/4 high and 6 1/4 wide outside dim with 2 in rad in the corners. The inside bottom is 13 high and 5 1/8 wide with 1 1/2 rad in the corners. The panel is 5/16 deep.

I am thinking that I could get a die set made out of 1in steel. I am thinking of building a frame with 2-20 ton bottle jacks and make a press. But the exact process? I know the metal needs to be clamped down to prevent distortion.
Any other suggestions?
seatt and cab 006.jpg

Last edited by pat45; 06-09-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:29 AM

Have a look at how this guy pressed the doors for his Divco van
http://heritagesonline.homestead.com/metalworking2.html
Old 06-10-2012, 08:46 AM

Default panel press

Hmm that could work! I still would have to figure how to hold between each panel but with enough clamping.......!

Paul,Thanks for the link I needed that!!! The spark...is going now!!

press 1.jpg

press 3.jpg

press 5.jpg

Last edited by pat45; 06-10-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:26 AM

somewhere on the net there is a complete write up on the whole process he used, making the tooling etc, complete with failings and how he corrected them. Too bad you can't get divco's in the uk i like them
Old 06-10-2012, 05:01 PM

Default press

Since I will have a sheet 48" long and 21" high that will require 4 panels I would have to make a plate to go around the top of the form and clamped down so the sheetmetal around the outside edge will not distort.

Last edited by pat45; 06-10-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:25 PM

That panel could be made start to finish in an hour with a bead roller. You have access to one? No need for any crazy tooling, then 1" blocks would cost as much as paying someone to make that panel for you.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:08 PM

To make that panel the bead roller would have to be a deep one, I have asked around and no one I know will touch it,then all the people I know do heavy metal,or auto body. the panel is 48 wide and 21 inches high. Lead me to the right person and it will save me money and time.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:13 PM

There are some bead rollers big enough to do it in one piece, but you're right, they might be few and far between. However, is would be easy to fit that panel in any pullmax. I'm not familiar with many people/locations on that coast, but I think you can find somebody on this forum that would help you make that panel so you don't have to make special blocks to press it...unless you're going to mass produce it of course, that's a hole different story.

But if you just need one, surely someone has a pullmax nearby. ANyone willing to help him out and lend him some time on your pullmax and an extra set of hands?

Or split the panel in half and add one weld and it should fit in most bead rollers.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 PM

Shawn thanks, I thought about spliting into to 2 pcs. Also I do not plan on making any others, making the press is a cool idea but very expensive. The po buchered a good cab to try to fit it on a different frame..it didn't work.
There was so much bondo filler everywhere I have never seen so much.

Last edited by pat45; 06-10-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the replys on this thread,but in the end I will go ahead with the press,I found I can press the panel with 1/4 plate with reinforcing ribs. The outside around the panel will need to be held in place so a 1/4 steel plate will be used. I will have to clamp the edges and the center will need a jack screw to hold it. I picked up 2 20 ton low profile jacks a HF. I will start a build thread as I go along.