All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-05-2017, 12:16 PM

Default Attendee's

I've just received confirmation that Zane Cullen of Cotati Speed Shop (www.cotatispeedshop.com) will be attending. Some of you may know Zane from his body and paint articles in the Goodguys Gazzette.

One of the vehicles that Zane worked on was Mike Coopers Tubester http://www.michaelcooper.us/tubester.html, which many of us watched being built in Street Rodder Magazine. Mike will also be in attendance.

Some parts of the Tubester were fabricated by Jim Hendricks and Ron Covell, both of whom will be here.

Now if I could just get some of their skill and experience to rub off on me...

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
For the metal shaping event, I'll be picking up some steel and aluminum. I can also pick up extra sheets for those of you that would like some.

Most antique car bodies are 19g. AK = Aluminum Killed. DQ = Drawing Quality. It's softer and easier to form that the typical sheet that you'd find at your steel suppliers. I've checked many sources, but the only place I can find this sheet is from Modesto Steel, a 3 hour drive each way. I can pick up extra 4' x 10' sheets for $65 each.

I'm also going to be picking up some .065" 3003 H14 aluminum. This is the favored alloy for metal shaping. The price will be $80 per 4'x10' sheet.

Tell me how many you'd like, and I'll have them here at the event to pick up.

Thank you John for making the run down to Modesto, this a great price and anyone considering getting in on the order should be thankful for the offer! See you all in a couple weeks!
Old 03-07-2017, 03:35 PM

Default More News

We are going to be joined by Lazze http://www.lazzemetalshaping.com/. Many of you have seen his youtube channel, here's an opportunity to try his Swedish Wheel and ask him questions about the techniques he uses, and his classes, directly. He will be bringing his equipment and doing a demo as well.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:51 AM

Default Friday Dinner, and reminder

For those of you arriving early, we are going to make Friday 7PM reservations at Francis Ford Coppola's Rustic Restaurant, at Coppla Winery. Besides the restaurant, he has movie memorbilia there, including the one of his Tucker's.

For large groups, they do a limited menu that we'll be ordering from. Choices (make them there) include chicken, salmon or beef for $42 plus tax and gratuity. Wines are extra.

Would you like to join us? It's a popular destination and I'll need to get the reservation in ASAP, so let me know.

John@mountainhouseestate.com

As a reminder, bring gloves, welding helmet, eye and ear protection for the meet.

After the meet, I'm going to suggest we go to Papa's Pizza in Cloverdale.

Last edited by Overkill; 03-15-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:17 AM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

John,

You've really spent a lot of time organizing what is going to be a super event. I'm looking forward to being there.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:38 AM

Default Demo's

We've got some really good ones already scheduled, and I'm hoping to fill in a few blank areas before the event next weekend.

In order to divide up the group up, so that people can see what's going on, we'll be having two or more demo's at a time. The same demo's will be repeated. So one pair in the morning, same pair in the afternoon.

Here's the list so far:

Ben VonBerlo - Mechammer Mark II
Jere Kirkpatrick - OA Alum welding
Lazze - 33-34 Ford exterior door window molding
Ron Covell - 32 Ford lower grill shell
Don Houseman - 32-33 Ford Pick Up cab back done on a Pullmax with Kirksite dies (This demo may only be done once)
Kevin West - Solid rivet setting

I'm hoping to have a couple people help out with two requested items:

Flexible Shape Patterns
Shrinking demo - tuck, lancaster, Marchant, Lazze, thumbnail dies.

Some of you may not know Jere Kirkpatrick, Valley Forge and Welding, Willits, CA He's a Henrob dealer and will be using that torch for his demo(s). He also manufactures a bead roller that I'm sure he'll show anyone that's interested. Want to learn more? I think you'll find it interesting - www.jerekirkpatrick.com

I also have an original 1960's Shelby Cobra door that attendees can examine to see how they were put together. I just wish I had the rest of the car....

Old 03-23-2017, 12:53 AM

Default Fyi

Looking forward to meeting Ben and seeing the hammer. The YouTube videos have been really interesting.

Bill picked up 4 of them and is on his way from South Carolina.

For those attending, sounds like it might be a bit cool, so bring jackets.

I'm setting up a area with stuff for sale. Barton Books, Covell DVD's, Longyard Books, Kent White DVD's, as well as a few tools:
- Rotex 18 Turret Punch
- Couple 12" Craftsman Bandsaws with a ton of blades
- Saw dust collection system
- 4x4 burn table (slotted top that you work over)
- Victor Magnetic Tracer torch - table top model
- Auto parts store catalog rack
- 12" Makita compound miter saw
- 4x8 table for CNC router or Plasma table. Was an Oxy Acet set up. You need to add stepper motors and control, this is just an accurate table with bearing slides
- some smaller Oxy Acet and CO2 cylinders
- old stop light
- Stanley Unishear - biggest one I've seen, but it only says 18G on it
- Practically new 20HP Phase A Matic rotary phase converter in OSHA cage
- Parts from bead roller I was going to build - 90V variable motor on stand - previously a sliter I believe, u joints, sliding joints (out of steering columns), etc. I was going to build a deep and tall throat design I came with, but now that I purchased a bead roller, going to move this stuff
- some regulators
- and other valuable stuff that you just can't live without

Looking forward to Saturday.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:45 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I hope someone takes lots of photos.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:52 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec 2010, Sept 2015, Jan 2016

I took 11 sets of the small radius gages sets with me,they will be put up for sale also..

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
Looking forward to meeting Ben and seeing the hammer. The YouTube videos have been really interesting.

Bill picked up 4 of them and is on his way from South Carolina.

For those attending, sounds like it might be a bit cool, so bring jackets.

I'm setting up a area with stuff for sale. Barton Books, Covell DVD's, Longyard Books, Kent White DVD's, as well as a few tools:
- Rotex 18 Turret Punch
- Couple 12" Craftsman Bandsaws with a ton of blades
- Saw dust collection system
- 4x4 burn table (slotted top that you work over)
- Victor Magnetic Tracer torch - table top model
- Auto parts store catalog rack
- 12" Makita compound miter saw
- 4x8 table for CNC router or Plasma table. Was an Oxy Acet set up. You need to add stepper motors and control, this is just an accurate table with bearing slides
- some smaller Oxy Acet and CO2 cylinders
- old stop light
- Stanley Unishear - biggest one I've seen, but it only says 18G on it
- Practically new 20HP Phase A Matic rotary phase converter in OSHA cage
- Parts from bead roller I was going to build - 90V variable motor on stand - previously a sliter I believe, u joints, sliding joints (out of steering columns), etc. I was going to build a deep and tall throat design I came with, but now that I purchased a bead roller, going to move this stuff
- some regulators
- and other valuable stuff that you just can't live without

Looking forward to Saturday.