All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-26-2017, 07:27 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Default Welding Helmet Upgrades

I was at Ron Covell's class this weekend and my welding helmet drew some favorable attention, so I thought I'd share the ideas here:

The first thing I did was to add TWO hiking headlamps. Each one is 400 Lumens. You need at least 350 lumens. COSTCO currently is selling a two 405 Lumen headlamp set for $28.

IMG_6878.jpg

Remove the head strap and either bolt the unit to the helmet...

IMG_6879.jpg

...or pop-rivet it. You can adjust both lights so they focus on your welding spot. Two lights are used so as to cancel out shadows. Unlike a stationary light, these lights will always be focused on where you are welding.

IMG_6885.jpg

IMG_6886.jpg

The snaps are riveted to the helmet to hold a leather head protector.

IMG_6880.jpg

I cut out "darts" in the leather and sewed the edges together for a better fit. It isn't really necessary.

IMG_6881.jpg

IMG_6883.jpg

The final upgrade was to RTV silicone glue in a foam chin rest. The helmet now always lands with the lens parallel to by face and I don't have to think about it.

The helmet is a Lincoln Viking. I prefer it over my twice-the-price Miller, and, of course, my HF autodarkening.

IMG_6884.jpg
Old 05-26-2017, 07:43 PM

I like it. I'll have to see what I can find when I go into town tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:48 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Help me out- since I gas weld most of the time with my favorite TM2000 lens, my old Speedglas auto darkening helmet rarely gets used. The last few times I used it to TIG (like at Will's last Redneck Roundup and even after I got new batteries), it's been tough to see the weld (too dark) or I get blinded because it isn't adjusted dark enough.

Doesn't seem to be as hard to adjust it to see just fine when stick welding, but Patman was not impressed when I was pushing the TIG puddle parallel to the butt joint because I could not see the joint....

Would adding lights to it like you've done likely help seeing when I TIG or does this practically new but 20yr old helmet probably need to be retired?
Old 05-26-2017, 08:05 PM

AC,
I'm not expert enough to answer that question, but I've heard more knowledgeable weldors says that helmets are only good for a few years.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrod View Post
Help me out- since I gas weld most of the time with my favorite TM2000 lens, my old Speedglas auto darkening helmet rarely gets used. The last few times I used it to TIG (like at Will's last Redneck Roundup and even after I got new batteries), it's been tough to see the weld (too dark) or I get blinded because it isn't adjusted dark enough.

Doesn't seem to be as hard to adjust it to see just fine when stick welding, but Patman was not impressed when I was pushing the TIG puddle parallel to the butt joint because I could not see the joint....

Would adding lights to it like you've done likely help seeing when I TIG or does this practically new but 20yr old helmet probably need to be retired?
I'm no welding expert as is evident by my tig welding thread, but I've found welding in a well lit area makes seeing the joint easier.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:31 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Thanks, guys. The others welding in the same light had no problem welding or seeing what was happening through their helmets in the same light. I wondered if this one might just be tired and need replacing.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:42 AM

Gosh, that experience would have me asking to "try out" my buddy's helmet!

Did you try out "right-left" mounting of the head lights before you went to the "top-bottom"??
Old 05-27-2017, 12:38 PM

No Marc, I didn't. I'm not sure it matters? Maybe I should add a left and right! Pimp that helmet!
Old 05-28-2017, 11:14 AM

The main problem with sight is when the backlight is stronger than the light over the work piece.Double if you have O.F.S and wear corrective lenses.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:15 AM

Old
Fart
Syndrome......Common in these parts I presume.