All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-15-2017, 12:55 AM

Default A formal hello

...From Castaic, California at least until I retire from my day job.

I'm Matt, and I've joined to learn something, which presently, I know little about; sheet metal work.

In my off time, as a formal business for the past two years, I make knives. And one of the things that goes along with knife making is machine construction.

It seems like many of the machines are fairly easy to make on my own (which is especially attractive considering their price new, and their rarity used), but sheet metal work is becoming more and more important. At the very least it would make the designs better and lighter.

Not only do I hope to learn about sheet metal for my own work around the garage, but I also have an 83 cj I'd like to work on myself... Scary to think of right now, but I'm hopeful.

As for my past, I have degrees in mechanical and aeronautical engineering...which is sometimes useful, but often gives me more reservations then are good for me.

First up here on my agenda is to design a bead roller. I've seen some cheap ones like from Eastwood, original and modified, and more expensive ones from mittler, etc.

Not to let this introduction turn into a new thread, as I haven't gone through all of the possibly related threads yet, but if anyone has anything they can point me towards before I start a specific thread, This is what I'm thinking..

There seems to be a huge jump in size(which is important to me) and cost(also fairly important) to get up in thicknesses of 16ga in a bead roller. I'm debating designing my own. I'm slightly worried about dealing with the gears, as I've no experience in that area... but I'd be happy to share the design if it works out.

The specs I'd like to see:
Capable of 16ga ms, 18 ga ss
A throat depth of 18".... Any thoughts on more or less?
Motorized with a foot control

Any initial points via pm appreciated.

Other than that,
Hello world!
Old 09-15-2017, 06:26 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Hi Matt welcome to the forum
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 09-15-2017, 06:37 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Welcome to the forum, Matt.

My first "real" metal projects were making knives, grinding them from files. When I was 9 or 10, I mentioned buying a sheath knife kit from an ad in Fur Fish and Game magazine. Gramp laughed and pointed me to the workbench & grinder. A couple days later, my uncle brought me a 5 gallon bucket full of used files from the granite shed. I had a lot of fun, even though the first ones weren't real pretty.. I've got that old grinder in my shop now. Hard to imagine turning a kid loose doing that with comparable equipment & no supervision nowadays. Somebody would probably arrest the parents.

Would love to see some of your knives.