All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-22-2017, 06:54 PM

Default Deciding when to replace rather then patch

So I am having a hard time figuring out what I want to do. The problem is Iam new to metal shaping and Iam working on my friends car and another car for practice, but I have a 69 nova that's my personal project car that is very rusty, the problem Iam having is that the front of the hood where the trim piece is, it's all rusted out very bad. Now Iam a beginner in metal work striving to try to get better so do i replace the hood with a used replacement or do I fix the hood? I don't want to take the easy way out by replacing the hood but it just seems way to time consuming to repair it when I can find a used replacement for 100-349 for a new hood.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:33 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

Attempt the repair first. If you're not happy with it, replace it. You still get the experience you're after. Keep in mind, if the front edge is that badly rusted, the rest of it is not far behind.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:34 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Time is money, no matter what. Learning is not free. thats why viable knowledge and expertise are so valuable.

I have two hoods here for my old Galaxie with similar front edge rust issues that are otherwise solid. I also have a spare rust free hood that I got trading years ago. I need practice, so will likely try to fix the best rusty one simply to learn whether I use it or not. I need the experience before tackling other more complicated repairs on the same car. The cost analysis here relates more to the lessons learned for me, not the resale.

Lots of the experts on here don't have the option of just having a cheap spare, no matter how mundane or invisible the part is. so they have to make it. If I want to be good like them, I'll have to be able to do what they do.... jmho.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the reply, I guess the proper way of preventing the rust would be to separate the skin from the structure that way I could sandblast the bracing and paint with epoxy? The other issues I foresee is the edge is pretty rusted so it would be hard to make a pattern off of.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:42 PM

You would have to have a go for experience sake, you may one day have no choice ,practice is a great teacher and in this case only money to lose

Pat the panel beater
Old 11-24-2017, 09:42 PM

Hey Eric,

I'm a newbie as well. I have a fender that I also have a good replacement for without the rust. I have chosen to do as the others have said, learn from the repair so that when you get to the part that is not available you can give it a go.
I have to say, the work is very rewarding when you see what it started out as and what you end up producing.

So I say as a beginner too, give it a try and see how you do. It might even turn out well enough to keep and not spend the extra $$'s for a bolt on replacement.

Just my personal 2 cents!

TX
Old 11-27-2017, 10:15 AM

So I have decided that Iam gonna try to fix it, it will be a good skill builder. I'll post a thread on this car when I start, as it needs tons of metal work it's very rusty. One thing I need to work on is panel fit up any tips?
Old 11-27-2017, 05:35 PM

If you don't want to separate the skin to clean out the inside rust, you could make a temporary pool with some plastic sheet and soak it in some molasses and water. Google molasses rust removal. That method won't leave acid trapped in the seams.

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 11-27-2017, 08:07 PM

Thank you for the tip, I thought about that after I asked the question, I think I'll try that
Old 11-27-2017, 10:01 PM

Hey Eric,

Depending on the size of piece and the time you have, you could also look up the electrolysis rust removal method. It works real well on the things that I've done but nothing bigger than a 5gal bucket. A pool size might be too much but then again maybe not.
Let us know what you end up doing and how it works out.

TX