All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-28-2019, 02:34 PM

Default Rack for sheet metal stakes?

My collection of sheet metal stakes is outgrowing the rack that I built years ago. My homemade stakes have a one inch square shank. My original rack had 1 1/4" tubing sleeves for each individual stake, probably not the best approach. I have not found much on the web showing racks. What I have found seem to have two bars a couple of inches apart, so potentially one rack can hold dozens of stakes side by side, it becomes kind of of a line of stakes. I have seen this same style of rack used for hammers. In most cases the bars are made of wood, probably to reduce damage to the hammers or stakes.

In most cases, the shank of the stake is vertical. In the interest of using the vertical space, I am thinking that perhaps it would be better to tilt the rack, maybe closer to horizontal than vertical, facilitating putting additional storage above it. I notice also that it is awkward to take a stake out from my own rack; a lot of that is the sleeve design, plus the rack is on top of a toolbox, so high. Not sure how far the bars should be apart, I am thinking 1.5 to 2 inches

I am fishing for comments, ideas, and photos of stake racks. Thanks.

(If I have put this question in the wrong forum, moderator please move it.)
Old 09-01-2019, 09:16 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2022'

For homemade stakes you're going to have to figure it out on your own, since yours and mine will be proportioned differently.

I built an angled hammer storage rack this spring and I mostly played around with a pile of hammers on the table to figure out the angle, how close together the racks could be without interfering with each other, etc.

I know with some of my stakes the head could easily over balance the shank if simply rested on two horizontal bars, so your tubing might still be the best approach. If you want more clearance around the shank you could try a thinner wall tube or stepping up to 1-1/2".

I don't have any pictures because my stakes are in a pile in a cabinet. Found one off the hammers though.